12.7 C
London
Monday, May 18, 2026

Interior CS Murkomen Blames Politicians for Violence as Fuel-Price Protests Turn Deadly

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has confirmed that four people were killed and more than 30 others were injured during the nationwide protests against soaring fuel prices that erupted on Monday across the country.

Speaking at Harambee House in Nairobi on the evening of May 18, Murkomen described the deaths as “unfortunate” and attributed much of the violence and chaos to political actors seeking to exploit public discontent.

The demonstrations affected several counties, including Nairobi, Nakuru, Kajiado and Kakamega, where demonstrators blocked major roads, burned vehicles and looted businesses.

“Looting businesses and vandalising public property can in no way bring down oil prices,” he said. “Disrupting transport and destroying livelihoods will only worsen the situation facing Kenyans.”

Authorities said 348 suspects had been arrested in connection with the unrest, as the CS vowed that the government would take firm action against what he characterised as organised criminal activity masquerading as legitimate protest.

The protests saw several dramatic incidents, including the torching of offices belonging to the ruling UDA party, the burning of trucks, attacks on civilians and clashes with police. In Nakuru County, a supermarket linked to a UDA-allied MP was reportedly looted.

Murkomen described these events as deliberate and coordinated acts of intimidation. “We are witnessing a clear scheme where a section of the political class is organising gangs to spread terror, intimidate government supporters, and profile those with different political opinions,” he said. He specifically claimed the burning of UDA offices was “politically sponsored” and pledged that those responsible would be held accountable.

Investigations are continuing into the various incidents of violence, including attacks on civilians, businesses and law enforcement officers.

By late Monday, authorities said most major roads blocked by protesters, including the key Thika Road artery into Nairobi, had been cleared. Transport stakeholders were holding urgent talks with the Treasury and Transport Ministry in an attempt to prevent further disruption.

Earlier in the day, Albert Karakacha of the Matatu Owners Association called for dialogue with the government while insisting that operators would maintain their strike until their concerns over rising fuel costs were addressed.

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -