13.1 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Kenya’s AFCON 2027 Plans in Doubt as KSh11.02B Stadium Funding Gap Emerges

Kenya’s preparations for co-hosting the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) have been cast into doubt after the Ministry of Sports and Culture revealed that an additional Ksh 11.02 billion is urgently required to complete key stadium projects.

Appearing before the parliamentary committee on Sports and Culture on Tuesday, May 19, Sports principal Secretary Elijah Mwangi revealed that only Ksh 3.74 billion out of the required Ksh 15.11 billion costs of the earmarked stadiums have so far been paid.

Mwangi told MPs that the balance must now come from the Exchequer if the projects are to be completed within the timelines required to safeguard Kenya’s hosting rights.

This has raised concerns about whether the country will meet continental hosting standards in time before the 2027 tournament.

Sports CS Salim Mvurya (centre) and fellow sports ministers from Uganda and Tanzania, Peter Ogwang and Palamagamba Kabudi, and other CAF officials addressing the press in Nairobi on June 4, 2025.

Photo

Ministry of Sports

“Given the competing obligations, the Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund is constrained to meet the financing requirements for critical AFCON 2027 projects,” Mwangi stated.

According to the PS, only two stadiums have been approved to host matches, that is the Talanta Stadium and the Moi International Sports Center, Kasarani.

Talanta stadium is in completion stages at 91 per cent and is expected to be completed before the year ends. Similarly, Kasarani Stadium is going through renovations to make sure it conforms with the standards required by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

Earlier, Sports Cabinet Secretary Salim Mvurya had told the committee that operationalizing the Raila Odinga Talanta Stadium will require Ksh 937 million to construct a dedicated power substation. This expense had not been initially factored into the project budget.

At the same time, Nyayo Stadium was stripped of hosting rights and therefore would act as a training ground together with the Uklinzi Sports Complex, as confirmed by Mwangi.

However, lawmakers were shocked to learn that Kipchoge Stadium, which was previously listed as one of the match venues, was dropped after review of the hosting plan. According to the sports ministry, the stadium is lagging at 18 percent completion.

The MPs led by Yatta MP Robert Basil had questioned why the Eldoret facility remained far from ready, prompting the PS to confirm it is no longer among the venues earmarked for match play during the tournament.

“I will make reference to Kipchoge Keino Stadium which is at 18 percent completion, and it has been earmarked to be one of the fields to be used during the games,” Basil asked.

Without urgent intervention by the National Treasury, Mwangi warned, delays in stadium completion could threaten Kenya’s readiness for the continental competition.

AFCON 2027 will be co-hosted by Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania under the Pamoja 2027 banner. With the funding crisis now hitting the ministry, and without the timely completion of stadiums, Kenya might be stripped of hosting rights.

Harambee Stars and the Zambia team ahead of their game at Kasarani on Sunday, August 17.

PCS

William Ruto

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -