The Pilgrims Affairs Office of Ghana has held a stakeholders engagement meeting ahead of the departure of the final flight for Hajj 2026, scheduled to leave Accra on Wednesday, May 20.
The meeting,was chaired by by Mr. Williams of Airport Company Limited, and brought together officials from various security agencies, logistics institutions and Hajj operational teams to review the successes and challenges recorded during this year’s pilgrimage operation exercise.
Participants at the engagement commended the smooth coordination of the Hajj operations so far, while also identifying a few challenges that require attention in future exercises.
Among the concerns raised were issues relating to the allocation of Hajj slots for some key stakholders, sanitation challenges and misunderstandings between customs officials and members of the Hajj Board taskforce over the handling of seized items.
Stakeholders described the issues as minor and expressed confidence that stronger coordination and improved internal communication among institutions would help prevent similar situations in subsequent Hajj operations.
The Deputy Director of Communications of the Hajj Board, Alhaji Mohammed Haruna, also expressed concerns over what he described as the strict conduct of some customs and immigration officers during operations in Accra.
According to him, officials who participated in the Tamale operations were more cooperative and accommodating, which helped ensure smoother movement and coordination among Hajj staff.
Addressing the gathering, Chairman of the Pilgrims Affairs Office of Ghana, Alhaji Abdul-Rauf Tanko Ibrahim, praised all stakeholders for their commitment and dedication towards ensuring the success of Hajj 2026.
He noted that despite the few challenges encountered, the overall performance of the outbound Hajj operations had been “excellent.”
“When writing an exam and you score 50 percent, you are happy you have passed. But what we have achieved so far is excellent, even though the last flight has not yet departed,” he stated.
He acknowledged that officials from different institutions and backgrounds worked together under difficult conditions and may at times have stepped on one another’s toes during the process.
However, he urged all stakeholders to forgive one another and remain focused on the collective success achieved.
“If anybody has been hurt in the line of duty, we should be candid enough to forgive each other because the most important thing is that we have achieved success together,” he said.
The Chairman further disclosed that the Hajj Board had achieved over 90 percent success in the outbound operations and expressed confidence that the final flight would conclude successfully.
Touching on concerns regarding the allocation of Hajj slots, Alhaji Tanko Ibrahim assured stakeholders that the Board would encourage heads of institutions to reserve opportunities for hardworking officials who contribute significantly to Hajj operations.
He said such personnel deserve the opportunity to participate in the spiritual journey after dedicating themselves to ensuring the success of the exercise.
The Chairman also revealed that the Hajj Board had received commendations from high-profile personalities abroad, including Ghana’s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia and other officials who monitored the operations from overseas.
He stressed that the achievements recorded during Hajj 2026 were the result of teamwork and collective sacrifice by all institutions involved.
The final Hajj flight from Ghana is expected to depart from Accra on Wednesday, May 20, bringing an end to Ghana’s outbound Hajj operations for 2026.