By James Amoh Junior
Accra, May 21, GNA – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has postponed the evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa.
The Ministry explained that the sharp rise in registrations and additional legal and logistical requirements necessitated the deferment.
A press statement issued in Accra and copied to the Ghana News Agency said more than 800 Ghanaians had registered with the High Commission in Pretoria for evacuation following renewed xenophobic attacks.
The exercise, initially scheduled for May 21, has been deferred by a few days to enable completion of mandatory procedures.
“Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days,” the statement said.
The Ministry assured affected nationals of government’s commitment to their safe return and commended them for their patience.
It noted that senior officials from both Ghana and South Africa were actively engaged to ensure smooth evacuation arrangements.
Earlier, government had announced plans to evacuate 300 distressed Ghanaians, but the number has now risen to more than 800.
President John Dramani Mahama approved the exercise following appeals by the tranded nationals.
The Ministry has also outlined a reintegration package including financial assistance, transportation support, counselling and access to employment opportunities.
Mr Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, Minister of Foreign Affairs, described the welfare and safety of Ghanaians as a “non-negotiable priority” of the Mahama Administration.
GNA sources at the High Commission in Pretoria said the Mission had been inundated with requests and was working closely with South African authorities to protect Ghanaian nationals.
Mr Benjamin Quarshie, Ghana’High Commissioner, said South African officials had expressed regret over the incidents and assured continued cooperation.
Xenophobic violence in South Africa has repeatedly targeted foreign nationals, including Ghanaians, Nigerians, Zimbabweans, Mozambicans and Somalis.
Earlier this month, Ghana repatriated Mr Emmanuel Asamoah, a victim of harassment, whose case drew public attention after videos circulated online.
Businessman Mr Ibrahim Mahama later donated GH₵200,000 to support him.
The Ministry urged Ghanaians in South Africa to remain calm, cooperate with authorities and stay in contact with the High Commission in Pretoria.
GNA
Edited by Kenneth Sackey
Reporter: James Amoh Junior
[email protected]