18.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

300 Ghanaian evacuees from South Africa expected in Accra today

The government is to offer each of the 300 evacuees from South Africa a financial package, including transportation to their final destinations, and a re-integration allowance to support them resettle in the country.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, who disclosed this in Accra yesterday, said the returnees would also receive “free psychological support” to help them cope with trauma from the xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

They would subsequently be put in a “special database for jobs and startup opportunities” to facilitate their economic reintegration.

“The welfare and safety of all Ghanaians is a non-negotiable priority of the Mahama Administration,” Mr Ablakwa said.

The evacuation comes after renewed xenophobic violence in parts of South Africa targeting foreign nationals. 

Arrival

The first batch of 300 Ghanaians who have expressed interest to return to the country were expected to arrive home today on board a special chartered flight which would depart at 5:00a.m. today from the Oliver Reginald Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg.

The government fully sponsored evacuation exercise followed a special request from the stranded Ghanaians due to hostile environment against black immigrants, especially those from West Africa.

The government had earlier this month repatriated Emmanuel Asamoah, the Ghanaian who was recently harassed in South Africa in a viral video.

Mr Asamoah arrived in Accra on Tuesday, May 5, 2026, from Johannesburg, accompanied by the Ghana High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quarshie.

He had since received GH¢200,000.00 in cash donations from the business man, Ibrahim Mahama, who also promised to set up a cement distribution depot for him.  

Engagement

Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quarshie, in an engagement with the media earlier this month, said the Ghanaian Mission in South Africa had undertaken extensive diplomatic engagements, including negotiations with relevant authorities to address the issue and ensure the protection of Ghanaian nationals.

He said while the situation in parts of South Africa remained fluid and not fully normalised, authorities there had acknowledged Ghana’s position, expressed regret and apologised over the incident.

Mr Quarshie further said that the Ghanaian mission would continue to monitor developments closely and also maintain regular communication with local authorities, including security agencies and municipal officials on updates on demonstrations and potential security risks.

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -