
The Minority Caucus on Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee has mounted fresh pressure on the government following the postponement of plans to evacuate Ghanaians from South Africa amid growing xenophobic tensions.
In a strongly-worded statement dated May 22, 2026, the caucus described the delay as unacceptable and questioned the government’s preparedness in handling the safety of Ghanaian citizens abroad.
The statement, signed by Samuel A. Jinapor, said the government’s explanation that legal and logistical requirements forced the postponement exposes serious gaps in planning and crisis management.
According to the Minority, reports of renewed xenophobic attacks and intimidation against foreign nationals in South Africa had already sparked fear among many Ghanaians living there, leading hundreds to register with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria in anticipation of evacuation support.
The caucus said it had repeatedly urged authorities to respond swiftly and decisively once reports of the attacks emerged, stressing that protecting Ghanaians abroad must remain a top national priority.
But after publicly announcing evacuation plans and assuring citizens of support, the government’s sudden postponement of the exercise has drawn sharp criticism from the Minority, which insists that operational and legal issues should have been resolved before public commitments were made.
The statement further accused the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of failing to match promises with action, warning that delays in responding to crises involving Ghanaian citizens abroad could deepen fear and uncertainty among affected families.
The Minority is now demanding urgent intervention, transparent communication, and immediate measures to guarantee the safety and welfare of all Ghanaians currently living in South Africa.
“Government must wake up to its responsibility,” the statement stressed, adding that many citizens are relying on the state for protection and reassurance during the ongoing tensions.