Ghanaians living in South Africa have appealed for urgent evacuation over growing fears linked to renewed xenophobic tensions, saying they no longer feel safe staying in the country.
The emotional appeals were made during a meeting at the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria, where distressed nationals shared experiences of intimidation, fear and economic hardship while calling on authorities to speed up evacuation efforts.
A tearful woman said she had long wanted to leave South Africa after things failed to work out for her.
“Since last year, I have wanted to leave this country because the situation that brought me here did not work out. I want to go back home, and I need to go back home,” she said.
Another Ghanaian, who identified himself as a teacher legally working in South Africa, said many Ghanaians were unfairly being pushed into irregular status despite holding valid documents.
“We don’t want to stay here. I’m sick and tired of this country. I should have been fat but look at how I am. I have been working as a teacher in this country,” he said.
“Not that Ghanaians are illegal but the Home Affairs force most of them to be illegal because some of them have permanent status which has been revoked.”
He further alleged that some Ghanaian business owners had their permits renewed several times before later being accused of fraud.
“Some have business permits. They came with business permits, they renewed here three times. At the end of the other renewals, they said fraudulent,” he added.
Another woman raised concerns about the safety of Ghanaians living outside Pretoria, saying fear has prevented many from even travelling to register for evacuation.
“Some of us outside Pretoria can’t even travel by bus or taxis for them to come and register their names because they are scared,” she said.
“Because the moment they started the ‘makwerekwere’ style, then they have to divert the taxis somewhere. So how about them? What are the safety measures towards them if necessary?”
A Ghanaian business owner also described what he called persistent intimidation by some police officers.
“Some of us have businesses here. A police officer can come to your office and intimidate you to the extent that your whole day will be messed up,” he stated.
“So we plead that if they want us to go they should tell us calmly. We didn’t come here with anything so we can just leave so we don’t have any arguments or fights.”
Another businessman warned that the tensions may not end anytime soon and disclosed that some Ghanaian business owners are already considering handing over their businesses to South Africans before leaving.
“What we are seeing or witnessing is not something that is going to end today,” he said.
“I’m looking at a worse scenario as a business owner — discussing with South African counterparts if they can actually have a takeover plan of Ghanaian businesses so that we can leave peacefully.”
Meanwhile, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie in an interview with DW Africa on Sunday May 24 said the first batch of evacuated Ghanaians is expected to arrive in Accra on Wednesday, May 27.
According to him, authorities are currently screening and verifying individuals who have registered to return home.
“We are screening them, and once we are done, we will let them know the number of people who will be going to Ghana,” he said.
Quashie disclosed that the first aircraft is expected to carry about 300 passengers, with two additional flights planned to evacuate more Ghanaians who wish to return home due to safety concerns.
“The first group has an aircraft that will take 300 and after some few days, we will take another 300 and then there will be a third flight with another 300 to ensure that we get everyone home,” he added.
Read also
First batch of evacuated Ghanaians from South Africa to arrive May 27