Close Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Sports

Asante Kotoko former captain Samba O’Neil bids emotional farewell

August 20, 2026

Kotoko successfully registered Ivorian striker Gbetta ahead of the 2026-27 season

August 20, 2026

Ghana–Anhui Chamber boosts Constituency Games with 2,120 sports items

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
  • Home
  • Latest News

    Prof. Jason’s Death: Claws Of Racism

    August 20, 2026

    Ghana explores traceability technology to track mined gold sources — GoldBod CEO

    August 20, 2026

    Ghana’s currency back under pressure, Uganda’s on front foot

    August 20, 2026

    Minority demands accountability over GH¢22bn domestic gold purchase loss

    August 20, 2026

    Orchestrating National Wealth: The urgent case for operationalising a Ghana Minerals & Commodities Exchange Authority (GMCxA)

    August 20, 2026
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Subscribe
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
Home»Kenya»Kenya journalists demand action after Homa Bay attacks
Kenya

Kenya journalists demand action after Homa Bay attacks

Ghana NewsBy Ghana NewsAugust 18, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


 JournalismPakistan.com |
 Published: 18 August 2026 |  JP Global Monitoring



Join our WhatsApp channel

Kenya journalists demand action after Homa Bay attacks

AFP and other journalists covering a Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay on Aug. 16 were intercepted, assaulted and robbed of cameras and IDs; media groups have demanded an investigation and prosecution of perpetrators and organisers of the violence.

ہوما بے میں لیندا موانانچی کے جلسے کے دوران صحافیوں پر حملہ ہوا اور ان کا سامان لوٹ لیا گیا۔ میڈیا گروپس نے تحقیقات اور ملوث افراد کے خلاف کارروائی کا مطالبہ کیا ہے۔

اردو خلاصہ

HOMA BAY, KENYA — Kenyan journalists and media organizations are demanding investigations and accountability after reporters covering political activity in Homa Bay County were assaulted, robbed of equipment and caught up in violence on August 16.

Agence France-Presse journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were attacked while traveling from Kisumu to Homa Bay to cover a Linda Mwananchi political rally. Nation reported that the journalists were intercepted during unrest surrounding the event, while the Kenya Editors Guild said they were assaulted by armed youths and robbed of cameras, press identification and other belongings.

Editors demand investigation and accountability

The Kenya Editors Guild condemned the attack as an assault not only on the journalists but also on media freedom and the public’s right to information. It called on Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja to ensure a thorough, independent and transparent investigation into the incident and for those responsible to be prosecuted.

Concern widened on August 17, when the Kisumu Journalists Network said several journalists had been assaulted during the Homa Bay violence, with equipment stolen and media vehicles damaged. Network chairperson Rushdie Oudia called for investigators to pursue not only those who carried out the attacks but also anyone found to have organized, financed, facilitated or incited the violence.

Media crews caught in wider political violence

The attacks took place amid serious unrest surrounding the Linda Mwananchi political activities in Homa Bay. Roads were barricaded, vehicles were damaged, and groups of youths armed with crude weapons were reported in parts of the county. Journalists from several Kenyan media organizations were among those caught in the violence.

Reports said media workers from Royal Media Services, KTN and K24 were also targeted. A Mediamax Network vehicle was burned, and a Royal Media Services vehicle was vandalized during the unrest, according to subsequent reporting.

Amnesty International Kenya condemned the attacks on journalists, disruption of media broadcasts, destruction of property, road blockades and other violence associated with the political activities. It called for prompt, independent, impartial and transparent investigations and said anyone responsible, whether private individuals, political actors or public officials, should be held accountable under the law.

Press safety concerns ahead of elections

The Homa Bay attacks have added to concerns about the safety of journalists covering politically sensitive events as Kenya moves toward its 2027 general election. The Kenya Media Sector Working Group has previously warned about threats to media freedom and called for accountability when journalists are attacked.

The Media Council of Kenya’s State of Media Freedom in Kenya 2026 report documented a broader pattern of violations associated with political events and state functions. The report noted that journalists covering the June 2025 Madaraka Day celebrations in Homa Bay County were injured and had equipment destroyed or stolen.

The latest violence therefore raises concerns beyond the immediate injuries and property losses. Journalists covering rallies, protests and political confrontations provide information that allows the public to assess political actors and events independently. Violence that prevents reporters from reaching events, recording what happens, or safely transmitting their work can restrict that flow of information.

The Homa Bay attacks underscore the physical risks journalists can face while covering politically charged events in Kenya. With the country approaching the 2027 general election, effective investigations and accountability will be important to prevent violence and intimidation from restricting independent coverage of political campaigns and public gatherings.

ATTRIBUTION: Based on reporting by Nation Africa on August 17, 2026, and public statements and reporting involving the Kenya Editors Guild, Kisumu Journalists Network and Amnesty International Kenya on August 16-17, 2026.

PHOTO: AI-generated; for illustrative purposes only.

Key Points

  • AFP reporters and other journalists were intercepted during unrest around a Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay.
  • Reporters were assaulted by armed youths and robbed of cameras, press identification and belongings.
  • The Kenya Editors Guild condemned the attacks and called for an independent, transparent investigation.
  • The Kisumu Journalists Network reported multiple journalists assaulted, equipment stolen and media vehicles damaged.
  • Calls include prosecuting perpetrators and anyone who organized, financed, facilitated or incited the violence.

Key Questions & Answers

What happened to journalists in Homa Bay?

Reporters covering a Linda Mwananchi political rally were intercepted amid unrest, assaulted by armed youths and had cameras, press IDs and other belongings stolen.

Which media organizations have responded?

The Kenya Editors Guild condemned the attacks and the Kisumu Journalists Network reported multiple assaults; both have demanded investigations and accountability.

What are the main demands from the media groups?

They are calling for a thorough, independent and transparent investigation, prosecution of those responsible, and for anyone who organized, financed or incited the violence to be pursued.

Has there been any reported police action or arrests?

The reports call on the Inspector General to ensure a full probe, but the published accounts do not detail arrests or outcomes of any investigations at this time.

Ask AI: Understand this story your way

AI Enabled

Dig deeper, ask anything — get instant context, background, and clarity.

Disclaimer: This feature is powered by AI and is intended to help readers explore and understand news stories more easily. While we strive for accuracy, AI-generated responses may occasionally be incomplete or reflect limitations in the underlying model. This feature does not represent the editorial views of JournalismPakistan. For our full, verified reporting, please refer to the original article.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Ghana News
  • Website

Related Posts

Western Kenya Leaders Threaten to Withdraw Uhuru Kenyatta’s Retirement Benefits

August 20, 2026

Hospital equipment upgrades open business for banks in Kenya

August 20, 2026

Europe, Africa and Gulf Markets Drive Kenya’s Rising Tourism

August 20, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Top Posts

Ghana explores traceability technology to track mined gold sources — GoldBod CEO

August 20, 20261 Views

Ghana explores traceability technology to track mined gold sources

August 19, 20262 Views

University of Mines and Technology opens underground demonstration Mine

August 19, 20265 Views

Volta Region can become Ghana’s tech capital

August 18, 20266 Views

Plans advanced for University of Science and Technology in Damongo – Haruna Iddrisu

August 16, 20264 Views
About Us
About Us

Ghanamma is an independent digital news platform delivering timely updates and reliable information across politics, business, technology, health, entertainment, sports, and world affairs, helping readers stay informed through trustworthy journalism and meaningful insights.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
World News

South Sudan’s leader sacks aides after dead man appointed

February 4, 2026

South African white separatists claim land acquired from Zulu king then lost to British

February 2, 2026

Muhoozi’s outbursts expose Uganda’s unease with funding Somalia war

February 2, 2026
Top stories

University of Ghana Attributes Fee Increases to Student Leadership Charges

January 2, 20263 Views

Sam Jonah, 3 Others Cleared Of Criminal Charges In River Park Estate Dispute In Nigeria

January 2, 20261 Views

GCNH donates health logistics to Ho Municipal Health Directorate  

January 2, 20260 Views
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Cookies Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 Ghanamma. Designed by Ghanamma.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.