Close Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Sports

Ghana–Anhui Chamber boosts Constituency Games with 2,120 sports items

August 19, 2026

Constituency Games will take Mahama’s Reset Ghana sports agenda to every community — Samson Deen

August 19, 2026

Asante Kotoko coach Hamza secures CAF License A coaching certificate

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
  • Home
  • Latest News

    Cocoa farmers will reject NDC in 2028 if their concerns are not addressed – Martin Ampim

    August 19, 2026

    Kpone-Katamanso MCE presents items to clans ahead of Homowo Festival

    August 19, 2026

    Mangu killing: Police arrest suspected mastermind, hunt fleeing attackers

    August 19, 2026

    South Africa’s banking giant sets sight on Nigeria for growth

    August 19, 2026

    Video Four Americans killed in helicopter crash in Kenya – ABC News – Breaking News, Latest News and Videos

    August 19, 2026
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Subscribe
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
Home»South Africa»FG Demands End to Attacks on Nigerians in South Africa
South Africa

FG Demands End to Attacks on Nigerians in South Africa

Ghana NewsBy Ghana NewsAugust 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

The Federal Government has called on South Africa to take urgent and concrete measures to end xenophobic and Afrophobic attacks against African nationals in the country.

The government also urged stronger migration governance, responsible political leadership and deeper people-to-people relations across the continent to prevent further violence against migrants.

The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Sola Enikanolaiye, made the call on Tuesday at a virtual roundtable on “South Africa’s Xenophobia in Comparative Perspective,” convened by the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday by his Special Adviser, Digital Media and Public Diplomacy, Raphael Oni, the minister stressed that Nigeria viewed the situation as a challenge that must be addressed without denial or exaggeration, arguing that the term Afrophobia more accurately captured the nature of the attacks.

He described the violence as having “a particularly African, post-colonial and post-apartheid character.”

The minister expressed concern over the irony of citizens from countries that supported South Africa during its anti-apartheid struggle now being treated as “unwanted outsiders.”

To preserve the historical record of Nigeria’s role in South Africa’s liberation struggle, Enikanolaiye said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had directed the NIIA to undertake a comprehensive study documenting the country’s support for the struggle.

He said Nigeria’s financial commitment to the liberation struggle was estimated at more than $60bn, in addition to the nationalisation of British Petroleum, provision of scholarships and hospitality extended to South African leaders in Nigeria.

“The relationship between Nigeria and South Africa is not reducible to trade statistics or diplomatic communiqués. There is history in that relationship. There is blood, sacrifice and solidarity in that history,” the minister said.

Enikanolaiye said Nigeria was particularly concerned about the loss of lives resulting from Afrophobic violence, disclosing that about 90 Nigerians had been killed in such attacks since June 2022.

He added that fresh attacks and displacement had been recorded in 2026.

According to him, the continued violence threatens South Africa’s international reputation, investor confidence and regional integration, while also diminishing the moral authority the country earned through its liberation struggle.

To address the problem, the minister called on South African authorities to strengthen transparent and humane migration systems and ensure that enforcement of immigration laws remained the sole responsibility of the state.

He warned against vigilantism and urged political leaders to exercise restraint in their rhetoric, noting that descriptions of migrants as “criminals” or “job thieves” could create an environment conducive to violence.

Enikanolaiye also advocated greater reliance on facts and data in public discourse rather than misinformation and rumours circulating on social media.

He called for the full activation of existing Nigeria-South Africa early-warning and rapid-response mechanisms to identify and defuse tensions before they escalate into violence.

Beyond government intervention, the minister called for stronger people-to-people diplomacy involving businesses, universities, religious and traditional institutions, youth organisations, civil society groups and the media.

He said such engagement would help rebuild trust and promote a shared African identity.

The minister further disclosed that Nigeria, in partnership with Ghana, would present the issue at the next session of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government.

While acknowledging South Africa’s willingness to discuss the “push and pull factors” associated with migration, Enikanolaiye said greater priority must be given to addressing hate-driven violence and attacks against African nationals.

He said Africa needed to move beyond mere tolerance towards creating a continent where citizens of African countries could live and work with equal dignity.

Enikanolaiye also reaffirmed President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to the welfare and protection of Nigerians abroad.

He cited the President’s intervention in the recent repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa and commended the Heads of Mission in Pretoria and Johannesburg, as well as other stakeholders, for ensuring the exercise was carried out promptly.

The minister said the Federal Government remained committed to working with South Africa, the African Union, ECOWAS and other partners to ensure that the continent’s drive for integration was matched by unity and solidarity in practice.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Ghana News
  • Website

Related Posts

South Africa’s banking giant sets sight on Nigeria for growth

August 19, 2026

Nigeria Demands Urgent Action Against Afrophobic Attacks In South Africa – Independent Newspaper Nigeria

August 19, 2026

Premier’s planned closure of a processing plant could threatened hundreds of fruit farmers

August 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Top Posts

University of Mines and Technology opens underground demonstration Mine

August 19, 20265 Views

Volta Region can become Ghana’s tech capital

August 18, 20266 Views

Plans advanced for University of Science and Technology in Damongo – Haruna Iddrisu

August 16, 20264 Views

EPCG embraces technology to advance Gospel mission – Dr Agbeko 

August 14, 20263 Views

Ghana Tech Startups: Sam George Calls for Flexible Financing from Banks

August 13, 20266 Views
About Us
About Us

Ghanamma is an independent digital news platform delivering timely updates and reliable information across politics, business, technology, health, entertainment, sports, and world affairs, helping readers stay informed through trustworthy journalism and meaningful insights.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
World News

South Sudan’s leader sacks aides after dead man appointed

February 4, 2026

South African white separatists claim land acquired from Zulu king then lost to British

February 2, 2026

Muhoozi’s outbursts expose Uganda’s unease with funding Somalia war

February 2, 2026
Top stories

University of Ghana Attributes Fee Increases to Student Leadership Charges

January 2, 20263 Views

Sam Jonah, 3 Others Cleared Of Criminal Charges In River Park Estate Dispute In Nigeria

January 2, 20261 Views

GCNH donates health logistics to Ho Municipal Health Directorate  

January 2, 20260 Views
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Cookies Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 Ghanamma. Designed by Ghanamma.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.