General News of Saturday, 26 May 2018
Embattled president of the Ghana Football Association, Mr. Kwesi Nyantakyi, has finally commented on the issue surrounding an investigation by journalist Anas after he (Nyantakyi) had been implicated in the video.
The FA boss however in a brief media encounter at the CID Headquarters in Accra, indicated that the recent publications about him in the media was ‘bad publicity’ for him because it somewhat impugned on his hard-earned integrity.
He jokingly added that he would have been more relieved if the reportage about him in the media was that he had led the nation to win a trophy during his current tenure as FA boss.
He added that carrying a trophy for Ghana would have ‘been better’ than linking him to some acts of corruption.
Mr. Kwesi Nyantakyi who was on official duty in Morocco was made to cut his trip short and report himself to the Criminal Investigations Department in Accra following an order from President Akufo-Addo.
The GFA boss is alleged to have defrauded some investors under false pretense using the names of the president and vice president. He is alleged to have asked to be given a sum of $8 million to be given to the highest gentlemen of the land.
He is alleged to have said, “Ghana is the easiest place to do business. All you have to do is to give the President of Ghana $5m and the Vice President $3m. I have the President in my pocket. I see him every day. As for the refs, all you need is to give them GHC20 and girls and they are sorted.”
Mr. Nyantakyi reported himself at the CID HQ to start assisting them in investigations following Anas’ video dubbed ‘Number 12’.
The GFA in its recent statement following the revelation made by Anas, have indicated that Mr. Kwesi Nyantakyi was still the president of the Association. World football governing body, FIFA, has also said that it is monitoring the matter closely.