Close Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Sports

Ghana–Anhui Chamber boosts Constituency Games with 2,120 sports items

August 19, 2026

Constituency Games will take Mahama’s Reset Ghana sports agenda to every community — Samson Deen

August 19, 2026

Asante Kotoko coach Hamza secures CAF License A coaching certificate

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
  • Home
  • Latest News

    Teen herder killed as police arrest alleged mastermind of Plateau attack that killed 25 

    August 20, 2026

    Kenya to import maize as country faces 25 million-bag deficit

    August 20, 2026

    Bradford chosen to host landmark Ghana-Yorkshire summit

    August 20, 2026

    Journalists must strengthen credibility in digital era- Pratt urges

    August 20, 2026

    Nigerian Government Commends Development Commission on Healthcare Investment

    August 20, 2026
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Subscribe
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
Home»South Africa»NIH reverses Trump-era ban on South African research funding
South Africa

NIH reverses Trump-era ban on South African research funding

Ghana NewsBy Ghana NewsAugust 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

Story audio is generated using AI

The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) has ended its ban on funding South African research projects, opening the door for local scientists to apply for its grants once more.

South African researchers, who are at the forefront of global research into HIV and tuberculosis, have historically been the biggest recipients of NIH grants awarded outside the US. But their world was thrown into turmoil last year after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order halting all foreign aid and assistance to South Africa, citing concerns about the government’s “egregious actions” against white Afrikaner farmers and Israel. Research units have been forced to jettison some projects and retrench staff whose salaries were covered by grant funding.

At the time, the NIH interpreted Trump’s directive to include its grants. NIH director Jay Bhattacharya has now changed tack, offering South African researchers a desperately needed lifeline. The loss of NIH funding, with the termination of other grants such as those administered by the US Agency for International Development, cost South Africa almost $450m, according to Medical Research Council president Ntobeko Ntusi.

In a memo sent to staff, a copy of which Business Day has seen, Bhattacharya justifies the change in policy on the grounds that NIH grants are distinct from foreign aid and assistance. Not only has the US Congress explicitly authorised the NIH to conduct international research collaboration, but foreign aid laws such as the Foreign Assistance Act do not govern the NIH, he said.

“Because NIH grants are distinguished from ‘foreign aid or assistance … meritorious research projects located in South Africa are permitted to proceed …’”, he said.

While the change has come too late for some projects, it offers an opportunity to restore some of the capacity that had been lost, said Linda Gail Bekker, director of the Desmond Tutu HIV research centre at UCT. “I see this as a lifeline to rebuild, but it’s a long and unpredictable road,” she said.

There is, however, a sting in the tail: Bhattacharya said scientists from South Africa will no longer be eligible for research training and career development grants from the NIH’s Fogarty International Centre (FIC). That’s because South Africa is an upper middle-income country and a member of the G20, he said in the memo.

The restoration of NIH grant funding to South Africa was “great news”, but terminating Fogarty support for South African researchers was extremely disappointing, said Salim Abdool Karim, director of the Centre for the Aids Programme of Research in South Africa at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.

“The FIC’s goal is international research, so to tie its hands and say it cannot have any association with South Africa is very unusual and frankly does not make sense,” said Karim.

The FIC had provided early career grants to scientists in South Africa who went on to lead ground-breaking HIV and TB studies that helped shape the global response to these diseases, he said.

Ntusi said excluding South Africa from the Fogarty programme would have far-reaching implications. “Many of the postgraduate students and early career scientists trained on Fogarty training programmes in South Africa were from the rest of the continent. This is a major loss for Africa and not [just] South Africa,” he said.

Ntusi led a fund-raising exercise last year that secured R400m from the Gates Foundation and the Wellcome Trust, matched by an equal amount from the National Treasury.

Business Day


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Ghana News
  • Website

Related Posts

South Africa’s rising trade risk: The silent shockwave

August 20, 2026

Nigeria, South Africa bicker over anti-migration protests, hate speeches

August 20, 2026

World Cup action tonight: Kookaburras vs South Africa – Watch LIVE and FREE on 7plus

August 20, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Top Posts

Ghana explores traceability technology to track mined gold sources

August 19, 20262 Views

University of Mines and Technology opens underground demonstration Mine

August 19, 20265 Views

Volta Region can become Ghana’s tech capital

August 18, 20266 Views

Plans advanced for University of Science and Technology in Damongo – Haruna Iddrisu

August 16, 20264 Views

EPCG embraces technology to advance Gospel mission – Dr Agbeko 

August 14, 20263 Views
About Us
About Us

Ghanamma is an independent digital news platform delivering timely updates and reliable information across politics, business, technology, health, entertainment, sports, and world affairs, helping readers stay informed through trustworthy journalism and meaningful insights.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
World News

South Sudan’s leader sacks aides after dead man appointed

February 4, 2026

South African white separatists claim land acquired from Zulu king then lost to British

February 2, 2026

Muhoozi’s outbursts expose Uganda’s unease with funding Somalia war

February 2, 2026
Top stories

University of Ghana Attributes Fee Increases to Student Leadership Charges

January 2, 20263 Views

Sam Jonah, 3 Others Cleared Of Criminal Charges In River Park Estate Dispute In Nigeria

January 2, 20261 Views

GCNH donates health logistics to Ho Municipal Health Directorate  

January 2, 20260 Views
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Cookies Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 Ghanamma. Designed by Ghanamma.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.