Close Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Sports

Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games

August 18, 2026

FIFA bans Karela United over unpaid debt to Camara

August 18, 2026

Ibrahim Tanko Open To Black Stars Job

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
  • Home
  • Latest News

    Mercy Ships returns to Ghana with its largest Hospital Ship

    August 19, 2026

    South Africa to Australia: Why coal profits are surging during Iran war | Energy News

    August 19, 2026

    AFCON 2027: Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania Given Lofty Target

    August 19, 2026

    CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 over cybersecurity licensing breaches  

    August 19, 2026

    Ghana and Russia sign Visa Waiver Agreement for holders of Diplomatic and Service Passports – 3News

    August 19, 2026
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Subscribe
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
Home»Top stories»Totopey residents remain displaced seven weeks after floods
Top stories

Totopey residents remain displaced seven weeks after floods

Ghana NewsBy Ghana NewsAugust 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

Residents of Totopey in the Ada East District of the Greater Accra Region have appealed for urgent intervention as floodwaters continue to occupy parts of their homes nearly seven weeks after the June 29 floods.

Some affected residents told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that they had been unable to return to their homes since the flooding, with stagnant water still occupying parts of their houses and surrounding areas.

They said the prolonged flooding had disrupted their livelihoods and daily activities, forcing some families to seek alternative accommodation while others continued to endure difficult living conditions.

The National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) has provided a temporary tent to accommodate some of the affected residents.

The residents, however, said although they appreciated the temporary shelter, it had not addressed the underlying problem, as floodwaters remained in and around some homes.

They appealed to the Ada East District Assembly, NADMO, the Assembly Member, the Member of Parliament for the area and other relevant authorities to urgently drain the floodwaters and restore the affected homes to habitable conditions.

They also called for clarity on measures being taken to address the prolonged flooding and prevent a recurrence.

The residents expressed concern that the continued presence of stagnant water could create sanitation challenges and increase the risk of water-related diseases, particularly among children and other vulnerable residents.

They therefore appealed for additional relief support while urging the authorities to pursue a sustainable solution to the drainage challenge.

Mr Prosper Tetteh Puplampu, Assembly Member for the area, told the GNA in an interview that an attempt to create a canal to channel the floodwaters towards the sea had been met with opposition from some community members.

Mr Puplampu said some residents had opposed the proposed intervention because they believed the water, which was connected to the Songor Lagoon, could provide an opportunity for fishing.

“They said we should not do it because they claim they want to fish in the water since it connects to the Songor Lagoon,” he said.

According to him, the situation had been further complicated by the condition of the Songor Lagoon, which he said was heavily choked.

He said the District Assembly was exploring collaboration with Electrochem Ghana Limited to create a drainage system and desilt portions of the lagoon to improve the flow of water.

He, however, said the reported opposition to the proposed drainage intervention had made it difficult for the Assembly to proceed with the plan.

Mr Puplampu said the Assembly was consequently left with limited options while flood waters remained in parts of the community.

Source: GNA

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Ghana News
  • Website

Related Posts

Mercy Ships returns to Ghana with its largest Hospital Ship

August 19, 2026

National Youth Forum to give young Ghanaians voice in development agenda

August 19, 2026

Pastor Mensa Otabil’s mother-in-law to be buried today

August 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Top Posts

Volta Region can become Ghana’s tech capital

August 18, 20265 Views

Plans advanced for University of Science and Technology in Damongo – Haruna Iddrisu

August 16, 20264 Views

EPCG embraces technology to advance Gospel mission – Dr Agbeko 

August 14, 20263 Views

Ghana Tech Startups: Sam George Calls for Flexible Financing from Banks

August 13, 20266 Views

Transforming Ghana’s Savannah Into Green Forests: A Tech-Driven Blueprint For Afforestation

August 12, 20266 Views
About Us
About Us

Ghanamma is an independent digital news platform delivering timely updates and reliable information across politics, business, technology, health, entertainment, sports, and world affairs, helping readers stay informed through trustworthy journalism and meaningful insights.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
World News

South Sudan’s leader sacks aides after dead man appointed

February 4, 2026

South African white separatists claim land acquired from Zulu king then lost to British

February 2, 2026

Muhoozi’s outbursts expose Uganda’s unease with funding Somalia war

February 2, 2026
Top stories

University of Ghana Attributes Fee Increases to Student Leadership Charges

January 2, 20263 Views

Sam Jonah, 3 Others Cleared Of Criminal Charges In River Park Estate Dispute In Nigeria

January 2, 20261 Views

GCNH donates health logistics to Ho Municipal Health Directorate  

January 2, 20260 Views
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Cookies Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 Ghanamma. Designed by Ghanamma.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.