Close Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Sports

Massive crowd at Brock Royal family Osu Duku WalK

August 16, 2026

NSA launches Deen-Led Committee to mobilise private funding for Ghana sports

August 15, 2026

Hearts of Oak captures a top striker Kuruma Mamudu until 2029

August 15, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
  • Home
  • Latest News

    Strong Treasury demand lifts Kenya’s financial markets

    August 17, 2026

    LG Funds: When Politics Trumps Law in Nigeria

    August 17, 2026

    30 ambulances at centre of ‘controversy’ handed over to National Security for refurbishment and integration into emergency response fleet

    August 17, 2026

    Nigerian tycoon Deji Adeleke’s brother, also Davido’s uncle, wins second term as governor of a gold-rich state after defeating Nigeria’s ruling party

    August 17, 2026

    SK bioscience Seeks South Africa Approval to Begin Phase 1b Trial of RSV Preventive Antibody RSM01

    August 17, 2026
  • Top stories
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • More
    • Sports
    • Nollywood
    • Tech
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • World
    • Lifestyle
  • Africa
    • Kenya
    • Nigeria
    • South Africa
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Subscribe
Ghanamma.comGhanamma.com
Home»Top stories»30 ambulances at centre of ‘controversy’ handed over to National Security for refurbishment and integration into emergency response fleet
Top stories

30 ambulances at centre of ‘controversy’ handed over to National Security for refurbishment and integration into emergency response fleet

Ghana NewsBy Ghana NewsAugust 17, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

Thirty of the ambulances that were at the centre of a controversy over whether or not they were fit for purpose, because they were said to be mere buses that had been imported and were to be retrofitted for proper use as ambulances and had been parked at the Burma Camp in Accra for many years, have now been handed over to National Security.

The National Security outfit is to refurbish them and integrate them into the national emergency response fleet.

The Ministry of Health (MoH), in collaboration with the National Ambulance Service (NAS), at the weekend handed over the 30 ambulances stationed at the Ghana Air Force Base at Burma Camp in Accra to National Security.

They were procured under a 2012 contract; but when they arrived later, former Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, who had assumed office in 2017 as the sector minister, said the vehicles lacked essential equipment and safety features, prompting allegations they were not fit for purpose.

It became an issue for prosecution in court by the Attorney General, and in his testimony in court, the then sector minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu testified that the 30 vehicles imported for the National Ambulance Service were defective, improperly fitted Sprinter buses rather than functional medical vehicles. 

However, his immediate predecessor, Alex Segbefia, disagreed, arguing that the Akufo-Addo administration was simply refusing to clear the accessories at the Tema Port to have them fixed in the ambulances so that they could make them fit for purpose.

The ambulances, purchased at a cost of about 3.5 million euros, formed part of the first batch of 200 buses which were expected to be procured in 2011 to improve ambulance services.

However, after inspecting the vehicles when they arrived, they were declared unfit for purpose, since they did not come with the necessary equipment and accessories fitted to enable them to function.

The latest development with the handover to National Security at the weekend, according to the National Ambulance Service, follows the legal clearance from the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Justice, which is said to have authorised the Ministry of Health to retrieve and assess the vehicles for potential operational use.

In a statement issued on Saturday (August 15, 2026), the National Ambulance Service explained that an initial assessment of the ambulances has been undertaken by the State Transport Company (STC), with further technical checks expected to determine their roadworthiness and the extent of refurbishment required before any of the vehicles can be deployed.

It said the handover forms part of efforts by the government to recover and restore available emergency response assets to strengthen the operational capacity of the National Ambulance Service and improve access to timely pre-hospital emergency care across the country.

Present at the handover were the Legal Adviser to the Minister for Health, Abubakar Mutiu-Rahaman; the Board Chairman of the National Ambulance Service, Nana Baffour Kotei Kutin Sraman II who is the Bremanhene; the Chief Executive Officer of NAS, Dr. George Kojo Owusu; and representatives of the National Security and the Ghana Armed Forces.

The keys to the 30 ambulances were formally presented to a representative of National Security, who will oversee the refurbishment process.

It said following the refurbishment, the ambulances will be subjected to the necessary technical and roadworthiness assessments before being cleared for operational deployment.

It said the addition of the vehicles, once refurbished and certified for use, is expected to provide a significant boost to the emergency ambulance fleet and enhance the Service’s capacity to respond to medical emergencies and transport patients safely and promptly.

 

Writer’s email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Follow @enochfrimpong Follow @Graphicgh

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Ghana News
  • Website

Related Posts

Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians

August 17, 2026

‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations

August 17, 2026

Two people dead in a road crash at Assin Fosu

August 16, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Top Posts

Plans advanced for University of Science and Technology in Damongo – Haruna Iddrisu

August 16, 20263 Views

EPCG embraces technology to advance Gospel mission – Dr Agbeko 

August 14, 20263 Views

Ghana Tech Startups: Sam George Calls for Flexible Financing from Banks

August 13, 20266 Views

Transforming Ghana’s Savannah Into Green Forests: A Tech-Driven Blueprint For Afforestation

August 12, 20266 Views

Women in Tech Ghana launches Green Tech Campaign for sustainable development 

August 12, 20264 Views
About Us
About Us

Ghanamma is an independent digital news platform delivering timely updates and reliable information across politics, business, technology, health, entertainment, sports, and world affairs, helping readers stay informed through trustworthy journalism and meaningful insights.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
World News

South Sudan’s leader sacks aides after dead man appointed

February 4, 2026

South African white separatists claim land acquired from Zulu king then lost to British

February 2, 2026

Muhoozi’s outbursts expose Uganda’s unease with funding Somalia war

February 2, 2026
Top stories

University of Ghana Attributes Fee Increases to Student Leadership Charges

January 2, 20263 Views

Sam Jonah, 3 Others Cleared Of Criminal Charges In River Park Estate Dispute In Nigeria

January 2, 20261 Views

GCNH donates health logistics to Ho Municipal Health Directorate  

January 2, 20260 Views
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Cookies Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 Ghanamma. Designed by Ghanamma.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.