Sports News of Tuesday, 3 December 2019
Mario Balotelli can leave Brescia on a free transfer in January because he is not suited to a relegation scrap, says the club’s president Massimo Cellino.
Balotelli, 29, has only scored twice and suffered racist abuse in a Serie A match away to Hellas Verona.
“In January, he can leave on a free. In this moment, he needs to choose which road is best for him,” said Cellino.
The president also sacked manager Fabio Grosso after three games and reappointed predecessor Eugenio Corini.
Balotelli, the ex-Manchester City and Liverpool forward, arrived in the summer from Marseille but he has only managed two goals in his eight appearances.
Now Cellino, the former Leeds United owner, has said in an interview on Italian television that he will not stand in Balotelli’s way if he wants to leave in the transfer window.
“Mario is sad because he is unable to play his game,” he said.
“Fighting for survival in Serie A requires a huge sacrifice and perhaps he thought it would be much more simple.”
Cellino’s latest comments come after Balotelli was dropped last month by Grosso, who challenged the forward to show more “determination and enthusiasm” to regain his place in the side.