22.7 C
London
Saturday, July 20, 2024

Dog starts house fire after turning on hairdryer

Fire in HockleyEssex Fire Service

A dog is believed to have caused a fire in a house on Christmas Eve after accidentally turning a hairdryer on.

Essex Fire Service said crews were called to Hockley, Essex, following reports of a smoke-filled house.

Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire after locating it in the bedroom.

The dog was waiting by the front door when the homeowner returned and both were treated for smoke inhalation, the service said.

Burnt mattress after house fire

Essex Fire Service

Watch manager Gary Shinn said: “The homeowner was out and came back to find her house full of smoke.

“We believe the fire started because a hairdryer was left plugged in and on a bed.

“We think the dog may have then jumped on the bed and turned the hairdryer on, eventually causing it to catch alight to the bedding and mattress.

“Once you’ve finished with any electrical appliances such as hairdryers and straighteners please take a moment to unplug them.”

Related Internet Links

  • Essex County Fire and Rescue Service

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Latest news
Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here