The Nigerian Army has rescued 14 kidnapped residents during a counter-terrorism operation in Katsina, as troops moved to disrupt terrorists operating in the state.
The victims, comprising six males and eight females, were freed after soldiers engaged terrorists who were transporting them through a forested area.
Overwhelmed by the superior firepower of the Army, the armed men were forced to abandon their captives and retreat into nearby bushes.
It was gathered on Wednesday that the operation took place yesterday around Madaci Forest in Sabuwa Local Government Area of Katsina State, with a preliminary investigation revealing that the victims had been abducted from different locations within the Dandume, Bakori and Funtua areas of the State.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt-Col. Aliyu Danja, said troops responded quickly after receiving credible information on the terrorists’ movement.
Danja said the soldiers made contact with the terrorists and engaged them, compelling the criminals to flee and leave the abductees behind.
“Following exploitation of the area, troops successfully rescued 14 victims comprising six males and eight females,” he said.
Following their recovery, the victims were handed over to the appropriate local authorities for necessary processing and reunification with their families.
Danja said the operation reflected the military’s determination to protect civilians and prevent terrorists from carrying out further attacks across the North-West.
He added that Operation Fansan Yamma would maintain pressure on terrorist groups and intensify operations aimed at protecting communities and restoring security in affected areas.
