8 Major Mahama suspects freed

General News of Wednesday, 20 December 2017

Source: dailyguideafrica.com

2017-12-20

Eight out of the 22 persons suspected to have murdered Major Mahama have been discharged

Eight out of the 22 persons suspected to have brutally murdered Major Maxwell Mahama – who was on detachment duties at Denkyira-Obuase (now New Obuase) in the Central Region – have been discharged.

This leaves 14 suspects to be put through committal proceedings at an Accra Central District Court and possibly put before the High Court for trial, subsequent to the availability of concrete evidence.

The eight, Yaw Annor, Philip Badu, Kwame Adjei, Solomon Sackey, Vivian Asahene, Anthony Amoah, Solomon Kwadwo Fodjour and Ebenezer Appiah, were freed, because according to the Attorney General’s (AG’s) Department, there was not enough evidence linking them to the crime.

Before the court, presided over by Magistrate Worlanyo Kotoku, a Principal State Attorney, Evelyn Keelson, said that a bill of indictment and summary of evidence on the 14 were filed on December 15, 2017 after the AG had studied the case docket.

She said it is the view of the AG’s Department that there was not enough evidence to prosecute the eight, and thus prayed the court to discharge them.

Ms. Keelson also told the court that the AG had concluded those of the 22 suspects – excluding those still at large – saying that there is enough evidence to prosecute the remaining 14 suspects.

Mr. Kotoku subsequently discharged the eight who had been charged with murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

The announcement was received by the hitherto accused persons with emotions as most of them shed tears of joy while walking out of the courtroom.

Compensation

Lawyer for the eight, George Bernard Shaw, reminded the court that his clients had suffered trauma, anguish and tribulations and prayed the court to compensate them for their wrongful arrest.

He also appealed to the state to provide counsel for the remaining 14 suspects since he was representing the others pro bono (free).

New Suspects

An Accra Central District Magistrate Court has issued a warrant for the immediate arrest of six other persons who are allegedly involved in the murder of the army officer.

They are Yaw Amankwa aka Bulla, Nana Kwadwo aka Nana Ajo, Maame Dedeekor, Tikwah, Yaw Boadu and Kofi Ahenkora.

قالب وردپرس

Comments