Govt Didn’t Sanction Attack On Police –Minister

The Minister for the Interior, Ambrose Dery

The Minister for the Interior, Ambrose Dery, yesterday told parliament that government did not sanction the attack on Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Nii Nanka Bruce, who was the director of VVIP security at the Flagstaff House under President John Mahama’s regime.

He said the New Patriotic Party (NPP) government under President Nana Akufo-Addo does not have any hand in the attack on ASP Nii Nanka Bruce by some supposed members of the Invisible Forces – security outfit of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) – which occurred on January 9, 2017.

Mr Ambrose Dery said as a matter of priority and importance to the NPP government and the image of the Flagstaff House, the government had ordered the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service to investigate the alleged assault.

He claimed that the CID had already started investigation into the matter and declared those involved in the attack as wanted people.

The interior minister made the disclosure when he appeared before the house yesterday to answer a question filed by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Member for Kumbungu, Ras Mubarak, as to whether the minister was aware of that alleged assault and the measures that had been taken in that regard.

The interior minister said the perpetrators of the alleged assault had been identified as ex-policeman Mumuni Jabil and one Abu who are being pursued by the police.

“The police in an effort to arrest the suspects have, among others, published the picture of Mumuni Jabil in the 18th March, 2017 edition of the Daily Guide newspaper,” Mr Ambrose Dery said, stressing that the same story was also published on Ghanaweb on 16th March, 2017.”

According to the minister, an Accra circuit court had also issued a warrant for the arrest of Mumuni Jabil.

In another development, the minister told parliament that the Tamale Regional CID was carrying out investigation into alleged shooting of 18-year-old Abdul Ganiu Abdul Rahman by police detachment which was sent to arrest some youth who had mounted an unauthorised barrier on the road between Kumbungu and Dalum in the Kumbungu Constituency.

The NDC MP for Kumbungu also wanted to know what action the government was taking on the alleged shooting.

The minister said the victim was hit by a stray bullet and that he had been treated and discharged but the Tamale police was investigating the case.

By Thomas Fosu Jnr

Comments