Foreign Minister heads for SA to assess aftermath of xenophobic attacks

Foreign Affairs Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey, is set to fly to South Africa Monday to ascertain details of recent Xenophobic attacks in the southern African country.

The Foreign Affairs Minister will also meet South African authorities to secure assurance about the safety of Ghanaians in that country.

Ghanaians were among the victims of renewed xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa in February this year.

Some 18 Ghanaians in Pretoria were rescued in the latest wave of attacks.

Ghana’s Mission in South Africa at the time said the 18 Ghanaians were rescued after one of them sent a distress call to the mission.

Following the attacks, Government promised to put in place measures to protect Ghanaian nationals and to safeguard their welfare.

The Minister’s visit is seen as an effort to deepen efforts toward ensuring the safety of Ghanaians.

Earlier this month Mrs Ayorkor Botchway was in Parliament to brief the House on the xenophobic attacks, where she provided details about steps that have been taken to secure the safety of Ghanaian businessmen in that country.

“In Mamelodi, a suburb in Pretoria, there is general fear and apprehension within the various foreign communities including that of Ghana following a decision by a local to organize an anti-foreigner march today to protest at what he referred to as South African nationals being tired of enslavement and being deprived of job opportunities in their own country,” she had told Parliament.

Meanwhile, Chairman of Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, Patrick Yaw Boamah, said the Ministry’s efforts to protect Ghanaian citizens have been satisfactory so far. 

Comments