General News of Monday, 20 February 2017
More than 48 female students of the Akatsi College of Education in the Akatsi South District in the Volta Region lost their belongings when fire razed three adjoining cubicles on a one-storey girl’s dormitory on campus.
Everything, metal beds, the ceiling, bags, laptops, mobile phones and personal belongings, was totally burnt, except a Holy Bible — although a heap of books in which it was tucked also got burnt.
Students at dining
When the Daily Graphic visited the school on Sunday, the Assistant Principal of the college, Mr C. K. Amekor, said the students were at dining at the time of the fire outbreak and that some of them had packed their belongings into the cubicles in preparedness to leave campus for holidays.
He said the fire started at about 1.30 p.m. on Saturday and the timely response of personnel of the Ghana National Fire Services (GNFS) prevented the fire from spreading to other cubicles.
Mr Amekor said the affected students were distraught and needed support to enable them to recover and continue with their academic work when school reopens next month.
The school is scheduled to take a short break this week, before reopening for a new semester later next month.
Cause of fire
The Akatsi South District Commander of the GNFS, Divisional Officer II, Edwin Tettey Nartey, said their initial investigations indicated that an electrical fault in one of the cubicles may have caused the fire outbreak.