The deceased, Kofi Mensah, a 32-year-old auto-electrician and resident of New York near Ashaiman in the Greater Accra Region, was alleged to have gone to the scene of the incident to siphon fuel when he was burnt to death.
The master of the auto-electrical workshop around the Mankoadze roundabout – popularly called Washing Base within the Heavy Industrial Area near Community One – hinted that the victim left behind about four-month-old baby and a wife.
Chief Superintendent Victor Amedeker, Community One District Police Commander, confirmed to DIALY GUIDE that the family of the deceased called at his office to identify him.
According to him, information gathered by the police so far revealed that the deceased, whose workshop is located not far from the incident spot, had gone to the area, which is swallowed up by weeds, to defecate when the incident occurred.
He asserted that investigations into the matter were still ongoing.
The victim’s mortal remains have since been deposited at the Police Hospital in Accra awaiting autopsy.
Relations and friends of Mensah have refuted the fuel siphoning allegation, saying that he had gone to the area to attend to nature’s call when he was accidentally engulfed in the wild fire.
The deceased was alleged to have been electrocuted in an attempt to escape the wild fire which was said to have started from a nearby refuse dump as result of a mixture of naphtha and gasoline.
He was allegedly electrocuted after an explosion which caused an electrical cable to disconnect, consequently falling on him.
A visit to the victim’s workshop revealed that his apprentice had locked up the place to mourn his boss as most workers around, notably spare parts dealers, were spotted clad in black and red to signify the loss of a loved one.
From Vincent Kubi, Tema
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.