A fact-finding committee set up by the Ho Municipal Assembly has indicted Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Municipal Coordinating Director (MCD), and the Municipal Works Engineer (MWE) for causing financial loss to the assembly and by extension, the country.
The three, Fafa Adinyira, Edward Atsu Gidiglo and Emmanuel Dogbevia are reported to have individually and jointly acted in the unauthorized refurbishment of the MCE’s office and official residence. Interestingly the MCE was not present at the meeting.
The Presiding Member, Yao Semordey said although the MCE was informed, she allegedly refused to attend on the orders of the Regional Minister, Joseph Nii Laryea Afotey Agbo who claims to have dissolved the committee; however it appears it was just a public show to save face.
Apparently it was only the government appointee on the committee, Togbe Kassa III who allegedly withdrew his membership on the orders of the Minister.
Despite incessant claims by the Minister and the MCE that no works had been done on the said residence, the committee’s findings revealed that the claims were untrue.
According to the committee, since the two projects were not captured in the assembly’s 2014 budget, ‘the Municipal Chief Executive, the Municipal Coordinating Director, the Municipal Works Engineer to have cost the assembly a great amount of money. This financial loss can be attributed to their actions and inactions.’
The findings of the five member committee revealed the MCE’s office was renovated by Messrs Our Rock Ventures at a total cost of GH¢7,904.00. These included the changing of curtains, chairs and painting of the office. GH¢2,500.00 out of the amount is alleged to have spent on a new orthopedic chair for the use of the MCE.
The amount which was revealed at an emergency meeting at the Assembly last Monday also revealed that an amount of GH¢180,000.00 have also been estimated for the unauthorized renovation of the MCE’s residence.
The said residence, according to the committee which was set up by the general assembly on the 21st of January, 2013 had it roofs ripped off, floor tiles removed and broken into pieces and four trips of sand tipped at the site. Sandcrete blocks, bags of cements and roofing sheets among others deposited at the site.
The committee which was set up to investigate the unauthorized renovation of the MCE’s office and residence noted that although the procurement act permitted the MCE to spend up to GH¢10,000.00 she had to at least confer with the general Assembly.
In the case of the residence the report noted that the ‘it was obvious to the committee the laid down processes and procedures including the procurement Act were not followed before the renovation exercise began at the Municipal Chief Executive’s residence.’
The committee among others recommended that the MCE’s residence should be returned to its former state at no cost to the assembly. While the works engineer, Emmanuel Dogbevia should be replaced with a more competent person. ‘No attempt should be made to slip the project into the tendering process unless it has been brought before the assembly and captured in the assembly’s composite budget’.
To this end, the committee also called on the Presidency and the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development to ensure necessary applicable sanctions on the MCE and other culprits.
From Fred Duodu, Ho ( [email protected] mailto:[email protected] )
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.