Motherwell 2-0 Celtic: Sutton Brace Ends League Leaders’ Unbeaten Run


    Celtic’s title bid took a knock on Sunday afternoon as the league leaders lost at Motherwell thanks to two goals from John Sutton.

    The hosts started the match very strongly with a chance in the second minute as Daniel Majstrovic had to block a Chris Humphrey shot after Charlie Mulgrew completely missed the ball in an early warning for the visitors.

    Yet the visitors obviously ignored the danger as just a minute later, the hosts took the lead. Once again, Mulgrew was at the center of it showing how not to defend as he let the ball go through for Fraser Forster to collect, but John Sutton latched onto the ball and took it past Forster before slotting home. It was a dream start for the home side.

    Celtic tried their best to reply and went close in the ninth minute minute as a Kris Commons free-kick found Mark Wilson, but the former Dundee United defender headed just over.

    In the 26th minute it looked as though Celtic were going to get the match back on track as Anthony Stokes had a great chance from 10 yards, but Darren Randolph in the Motherwell net produced a fine save to deny Celtic, although Stokes will have been disappointed not to score.

    Randolph was called into action again just a minute later as Scott Brown let rip from the edge of the box, but the Motherwell shot-stopper tipped the shot round the post brilliantly.

    In the 44th minute Celtic finally beat Randolph and put the ball in the Motherwell net, however, Shaun Hutchinson was positioned on the line and managed to clear Stokes’ shot.

    The hosts started the second half in exactly the same way they started the first as they looked to force the issue. In the 49th Ross Forbes took a corner and Hutchinson crashed a header against the cross-bar.

    However, just three minutes later, Motherwell were further ahead. The hosts were awarded a soft penalty after Izaguirre brought down Keith Lasley in the box by barely touching the midfielder – if at all. But Sutton stepped up to grab his second of the game and he duly delivered as he smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

    Almost 10 minutes later, the hosts could have made it three after a good run down the wing by Humphrey ended with the former Shrewsbury Town man shooting at Forster, but the keeper did well to keep it out.

    In the 71st minute, Motherwell, once again, nearly scored a third as Murphy had a shot that looked to be heading goalwards, but his side’s scorer – Sutton – got in the way of the shot and Celtic cleared to safety.
    The only real chance Celtic went on to create came from another Kris Commons free-kick as the former Nottingham Forest and Derby County wide-man found Mulgrew in the box, but Randolph was able to make a fairly easy save and the hosts held on for the three points, with the win taking them closer to the European places, whilst Celtic suffered their first defeat in 17 games.

    Motherwell 2-0 Celtic: Sutton Brace Ends League Leaders’ Unbeaten Run