Otumfuo explains absence from awards ceremony

otumfuo_2006.jpgThe Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II says his absence from the national
awards ceremony does not in any way suggest lack of respect for the
awards as being suggested by sections of the public.

Speaking
to Adom News, the Media Relations Officer of the Asantehene, Osei
Antwi, explained that Otumfuo Osei Tutu II had been chairing a
mediation meeting between the Andani and Abudu gates in the Dagbon
crisis.

The meeting was to discuss the final proposals on the
funeral of the Ya-Na which has been one of the thorny issues regarding
the resolution of the dispute.

A decision on the final arrangements are expected at the end of the meeting.

Mr.
Antwi said the meeting had been scheduled long before the awards
ceremony and that the critical nature of the issue made it impossible
for the mediation team to postpone it.

He said a delegation
headed by the Mamponghene Daasebre Osei Bonsu and the Akyempemhene
Oheneba Adusei Poku was therefore at the awards ceremony to receive the
award on his behalf.

“We are not in anyway disrespecting the award, we respect it” he told Adom Fm.

On
comments made by former President Rawlings at his press conference last
Tuesday on the murder of the Ya-Na, Mr. Antwi said the Otumfuo will not
make any comments, rather he was focusing on the work of the eminent
chiefs in order to find a lasting solution to the problem.

Story by Afia Pokuaa (Adom FM)