Boxer Michael Ayittey Okine aka Ayittey Powers, has blamed his defeat to Braimah Kamoko (Bukom Banku) in Thursday night’s non-title catch-weight bout to weight difference.
Banku convincingly beat Powers winning by a unanimous decision, 117-109, 119-100, 120-108 after months of massive promotion and bragging by both boxers.
Prior to the bout, Banku weighed 205 pounds, exceeding the upper limit of 200 for the cruiserweight division, while Powers, weighed exactly 200 pounds.
Even though the fight was initially a cruiserweight bout, it was changed to catch-weight after the weight difference by Bukom Banku.
Therefore at Wednesday’s weigh-in it was decided that Bukom Banku was to suffer a five per cent deduction of his purse as penalty after reaching an agreement with his opponent (Ayittey Powers), fight promoter Box Office Sports Promotions and the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA).
However, Speaking to Citi FM Friday morning after losing the bout, Powers said the weight difference was the swing factor and that if Bukom Banku had been able to make the desired weight, he (Powers) would have stopped him.
Powers has consequently requested for a re-match.
‘They have to give me re-match, you understand me. He has to make sure he is going to make his weight. I told you people if this guy can manage to make his weight, I will stop him, and he know that he can’t do the weight, look the weight difference, it is too much.’
‘The weight difference was too much and that was the problem for me. I could have decided not to fight after he came in 8kilos overweight but I felt I needed to respect the fans who had bought tickets so I fought,’ Powers said.
Powers told Citi FM that if the fight had been in Europe, it would not have been allowed to happen. ‘I have told his camp already that I want a rematch,’ he said.
He cautioned people not to link his defeat to directions he received from his Godfather, Prophet T.B Joshua not to fight.
‘He is my prophet; why are people saying that. You should leave him [T.B Joshua] out,’ he said.
As of now it is unclear whether Banku will accept the challenge of a re-match after signing a deal to face a Russian opponent on May 30.
The Ghana Boxing Authority has however said it would sanction a re-match between the two boxers if a promoter shows interest.
Puiblic Relations Officer of the GBA, Naa Darkowaa Duodu said it was not mandatory for the two boxers to have a re-match and that they have heard Ayittey Powers calling for the re-match and it was the same way he started when he challenged Braimah Kamoko.
‘As GBA we are here to sanction a fight. If any promoter is interested in a re-match and he consults them and they agree, then GBA will sanction it.’
Source: Daily Graphic.com.gh
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.