London — Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has had all criminal charges against him dropped, police and prosecutors said on Thursday.
Greenwood, who was suspended by United in January 2022 when accusations against him surfaced on social media, was charged with attempted rape, controlling behaviour and assault last October.
Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood had faced allegations of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault; Greenwood has now had all charges against him dropped. pic.twitter.com/EcyboavAX1
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) February 2, 2023
“A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors,” the Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement naming Greenwood.
The 21-year-old forward was arrested last year after a woman posted images on social media showing injuries allegedly caused by him. A voice not of what sounded like an attempt to sexually assault the woman.
Within hours of the allegations surfacing online at the beginning of the year, Greenwood, who has made one appearance for England, was suspended from playing or training with United.
Nike suspended and later terminated its sponsorship deal with Greenwood, while Electronic Arts confirmed his removal from active squads on its Fifa 22 game.
Manchester United have yet to comment on the dropped charges.
More to follow.