18.2 C
London
Monday, July 22, 2024

Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd and Chelsea suffer Gusto setback, Arsenal plot Caicedo talks, Liverpool latest

- Advertisement -

There is less than a week left in the January transfer window as club’s scramble to get deals done.

Several of the Premier League’s big-hitters have already splashed the cash but are eager to do more business: Chelsea co-owner Todd Boehly is reportedly still chasing several deals after spending big money on Mykhaylo Mudryk.

Arsenal would also like to bolster their midfield options after snapping up Leandro Trossard and Jakub Kiwior, while Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag could attempt to conjure up another low-cost signing before Tuesday night’s deadline – if the opportunity presents itself.

Liverpool and Tottenham have also been tipped to be active in the coming days as the rest of the footballing foodchain keeps an eye on deals at the top.

We’ll keep you up to date with all the latest transfer news here on Mirror Football…

Goodnight

Goodnight, that’s all from us, we’ll be back tomorrow with all the latest transfer news.

Arsenal sent Zubimendi warning

Arsenal have reportedly been told they will have to pay the full release clause for Martin Zubimendi.

The Gunners are in the market for a midfielder but according to the Times, Real Sociedad have now made it clear they will have to fork out £52.6m to sign him.

Barcelona are also interested in the midfielder as they search for a successor to Sergio Busquets.

Wolves set to sign Gomes

Wolves are finally set to sign Flamengo’s Joao Gomes.

Wanderers agreed terms with the Brazilian midfielder over a move to Molineux earlier this month and had agreed a deal with his club.

But Flamengo attempted to renegotiate a £15million fee after French club Lyon offered marginally more to sign the 21-year-old.

Lyon officials, including new owner John Textor, have been in Rio trying to persuade Gomes to move to Ligue 1, but he has remained steadfast in his desire to move to the Premier League.

Now OL are moving onto other targets after he rebuffed their advances.

And Wolves, having stood their ground over the initial agreed transfer terms, have seen Flamengo relent and are finally set to get their man.

Inter ‘unlikely’ to renew Lukaku loan

Inter Milan are reportedly unlikely to renew Romelu Lukaku’s loan deal from Chelsea.

Lukaku joined the Nerazzurri in the summer for the current campaign, but has struggled at the San Siro. And according to reports in Belgium, his struggles mean that Inter are unlikely to bring him back next season.

It is felt he made a ‘mistake’ by leaving Inter for Chelsea two years ago and will now have to go back to the Blues after his loan at Inter ends.

Klopp sends transfer warning

Jurgen Klopp has warned it will take time for Liverpool to turn themselves around from their poor season.

“It’s a challenge, it is one of the main reasons I signed the new contract because I knew it is necessary and will not go [away] overnight – imagine the situation now with another coach in the chair,” Klopp said on the Football People podcast.

“I would be somewhere on holiday and everyone would shout my name. Throughout the problems you have in a transition period we have an awful lot of injuries, which makes life really complicated.

“I know the majority of the world is just interested in the short term but we have to be long-term focused as well. But transition needs time if you don’t have endless money, otherwise you can change overnight pretty much and bring in ten players.”

Man Utd urged to make Mendy move

Former Manchester United hero Louis Saha has urged the Red Devils to make a move for Edouard Mendy.

Current first-choice keeper David de Gea is out of contract at the end of the season and Saha believes Mendy would make the perfect replacement.

“If De Gea doesn’t sign a new contract then a move for Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy would make perfect sense,” Saha told Boyle Sport. “He has been one of the best goalkeepers in the world the last few years.”

Toure sacked by Wigan

Wigan Athletic have announced the departure of Kolo Toure after just nine games as manager.

Toure has failed to win any of those matches though, putting them at serious risk of relegation. Chief executive Malachy Brannigan announced this decision with regret.

“Unfortunately, the results on the field have not been as we would have liked and as tough a decision as this was, the Board felt it necessary to give us the best possible chance of remaining a Championship club next season,” he said.

“We know that this time of year is a key period for any football club, ourselves included. Therefore, we will now work swiftly and effectively to ensure the right person is appointed as the next permanent manager of Wigan Athletic, with the immediate objective of remaining in the Second Tier for next season.”

Arsenal close in on third signing

Arsenal are reportedly closing in on their third signing of the January window.

According to Jornal de Noticias, the Gunners are hopeful of landing Ibrahima Bamba from Vitoria Guimaraes.

The 20-year-old is highly-rated, and has broken into the Vitoria line-up over recent seasons.

Man Utd and Chelsea sent firm warning

Manchester United and Chelsea have been warned that shared transfer target Malo Gusto will be staying at Lyon for the rest of the season.

Both of the Premier League sides are thought to be interested in defender. But Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has now insisted he will be staying in France until at least the summer.

“Since I am actively participating with Vincent Bruno Laurent in this great winter movement, I have the pleasure of confirming the team on KTE but also of specifying that Malo, a great hope for OL, will continue to play with OL in less until 06/30/23,” he tweeted.

DONE DEAL – Southampton make third signing

Southampton have announced the arrival of defender James Bree from Luton Town.

The right-back is their third signing of the month and played a key role under Saints boss Nathan Jones at the Hatters. His former manager revealed his delight at bringing in the centre-back

“James is obviously someone who I know well from our time together at Luton, and he has the qualities both on the pitch and also in terms of his character to help us here,” Jones said.

“While we have really talented players in the full-back positions, we have been lighter on numbers than we would have liked, so the addition of James to the squad really helps us to address that. He’s also comfortable playing at centre-back too, so that versatility helps gives us another good option in a number of areas.”

Weghorst keen to earn permanent Man Utd deal

Wout Weghorst believes he can stay at Manchester United beyond the end of his loan spell at Old Trafford.

Asked if he thinks there is a chance to show manager Erik ten Hag he can stay longer at United, Weghorst said: “Of course. The situation now is how it was – it was for a loan. It’s a massive club so I will try to do everything as good as I can, and if it will work out it will be a good option.

“I’ve seen the first couple of days, almost a week, how big the club is in everything – the facilities, the club, even the quality in the team, the way we’re playing. There’s a lot of quality in everything and that’s something you look to work in, in a winning atmosphere.”

Hull open Toffolo talks

Hull have opened talks to sign Harry Toffolo from Nottingham Forest, according to Hull Live.

Forest are willing to do business with Hull for Toffolo, but the decision rests with the 27-year-old and whether he wants to drop back down to the Championship less than a season after making the step up to the top-flight.

Spence transfer twist as Leicester eye defender

Leicester City’s pursuit of right-back Djed Spence is being dragged out by Tottenham Hotspur’s refusal to negotiate an option to buy, according to the Sun.

Spurs are willing to let Spence leave on loan before Tuesday’s deadline as they move closer to securing the signing of Sporting Lisbon’s Pedro Porro.

With Spence already behind Matt Doherty and Emerson Royal in the pecking order, Porro’s arrival for around €45 million would see his chances of regular minutes diminished even further.

And so with just a few days remaining of the window, Spurs are now willing to let him leave temporarily in order to receive regular minutes. Leicester, along with Brentford and Crystal Palace are said to be keen on securing his services.

Bournemouth sign Randolph

Bournemouth have completed the signing of West Ham goalkeeper Darren Randolph.

Randolph, who has penned an 18-month contract at Vitality Stadium, becomes the Cherries’ second addition of the January transfer window, following the arrival of Dango Ouattara.

He told afcb.co.uk: “I’m very happy to be here and I’m ready to get started. I know three lads here and that’s helped.

“They have told me good things about the club and the area, as have other people who’ve been here in the past, so that definitely helped in my decision.”

Bajcetic signs new Liverpool contract

Spanish teenager Stefan Bajcetic has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool five days after making his first Premier League start.

The 18-year-old has signed a new deal until 2027 having broken into the side this season, with Saturday’s start against Chelsea at Anfield his 10th appearance in all competitions.

Bajcetic also scored his first senior goal in the 3-1 win at Aston Villa on Boxing Day, and impressed in last week’s FA Cup third round replay away at Wolves.

Read more here.

Stefan Bajcetic in action for Liverpool (Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

Coventry sign Maguire

Coventry have confirmed the signing of Preston forward Sean Maguire.

The 28-year-old has initially agreed a deal until the end of the season, despite failing to score in 10 appearances for North End this season.

Mark Robins told Coventry’s official website: “We’re very pleased to welcome Sean to Coventry City. He is an experienced striker at this level, who has a number of qualities that will help us between now and the end of the season.

“He can hold up the ball well and is adept at bringing others into play. He will provide a very good option for us in the forward area, and we look forward to working with him.”

Bournemouth agree Semenyo deal

Bournemouth have agreed a deal to sign Antoine Semenyo at the third time of asking, having seen two previous bids knocked back by Bristol City.

According to the Athletic, the Cherries have finally had a bid of £9million plus add-ons accepted by the Robins and they have also agreed personal terms with the Ghana international.

Premier League spending revealed

English football clubs spent a staggering £1.78billion on transfers in 2022 – and that accounted for a third of the world’s total outlay in the two windows.

FIFA have published their annual Global Transfer Report and, once again, it is the English clubs – led by the Premier League’s big spenders – who dominate. Manchester United top the pile with Liverpool coming in third and Newcastle United fifth.

For the first time, the combined English outlay exceeded the $2bn mark, reaching a record high of just under $2.2bn (£1.78bn). With the current January shaping up to be a record-breaker, it is almost certain that the $2.2bn mark will be easily passed in 2023.

Read the full story HERE.

(Getty Images)

DONE DEAL: Blackburn bring in Huddersfield star

A savvy addition for Rovers.

Lyon chief confirms Gusto future

Lyon owner Jean Michel Aulas has confirmed that young star Malo Gusto will remain at the club until the end of the season.

Chelsea are keen to continue their spending by bringing the 19-year-old to Stamford Bridge this month. But speaking to L’Equipe, Aulas declared: “I can confirm that Malo [Gusto] will stay here at least until the end of the season.”

Chelsea are left with two options as they pursue a right-sided alternative to the currently injured Reece James: either turn to a new target, or attempt to seal a deal for Gusto for summer, while leaving him on loan at OL.

Read the full story HERE.

(Leandro Amorim/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images)

Bielsa still in Everton talks

Marcelo Bielsa has travelled to London to hold further talks over the Everton job, the Telegraph report.

The Argentine coach, 67, is the Toffees’ top target after sacking Frank Lampard on Monday.

Bielsa would need to be convinced over the squad and potential transfers, and the club hope to gain clarity soon over whether or not he’ll accept their offer.

De Jong’s reaction to Weghorst’s United breakthrough

Frenkie de Jong was the one that got away for Manchester United and Erik ten Hag last summer.

But it seems the Dutchman – who continues to be linked with an eventual transfer to Old Trafford, such is ten Hag’s desire to still be reunited with his compatriot – is keeping abreast of the goings on at Old Trafford.

And after international teammate Wout Weghorst bagged his first goal for the club on Wednesday night, De Jong was quick to salute the giant striker on social media.

Weghorst is on loan at United and knows he’s playing for a permanent switch.

Could we eventually see he and De Jong together in 2023/24?

(Instagram)

Ferguson appointed Forest Green boss

And now it’s confirmed!

Duncan Ferguson is the new manager of Forest Green Rovers.

The Everton legend takes over at the New Lawn with FGR bottom of League One, having picked up a single point from a possible 21 since their last win on December 10.

In a statement, Ferguson said: “I’m really delighted to join FGR for the next step of my career, and I plan to be here for a while. We have a bit of a fight on our hands to stay up in League One and I am ready for the challenge.”

Klopp’s rebuild is underway

The confirmation that this is no ordinary Liverpool slump came with Jurgen Klopp’s teamsheet against Chelsea last weekend, not that there have been many slumps under his tenure of course.

In leaving the likes of Joel Matip, Jordan Henderson and Fabinho out of the starting XI there was a tacit suggestion from the Liverpool manager that all is not well, and that major changes are needed.

In came Joe Gomez, Naby Keita and most intriguingly of all Stefan Bajcetic, the latter fresh from a stellar performance in the FA Cup win at Wolves and in for his first Premier League start.

And he did well, about as well as it was possible for anyone to do in such a disjointed game that left no-one in any doubt about the state of flux that is currently surrounding both clubs.

Click here to read more!

PSG’s showdown talks

Paris Saint-Germain boss Christophe Galtier has been forced to hold clear the air talks with defender Presnel Kimpembe as he attempts to smooth things over at the Parc des Princes.

The former Lille and Nice boss caused controversy at the weekend after naming French forward Kylian Mbappe as his captain for a Coupe de France showdown with Pays de Cassel in the absence of Marquinhos.

The armband appeared to do the striker no harm whatsoever having scored five goals in a thumping 7-0 victory.

Galtier confirmed after the game that Mbappe was now PSG’s second in line for the captaincy.

“We decided at the start of the season that Kylian Mbappé should be the second captain,” he said. “He deserves to have this armband when Marquinhos is absent.”

Click here to read more!

Zidane’s managerial comeback

Former Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane is said to only be open to three managerial posts, with the France and Manchester United jobs no longer on the table.

The 50-year-old was linked with the Old Trafford job in 2021 after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked, but United ultimately hired Ralf Rangnick on an interim basis before moving for Erik ten Hag in 2022.

At the time, it appeared Zidane was eager to wait for the France job to become available, only for Didier Deschamps to remain in the post after reaching the World Cup final.

Zidane’s entire managerial career to date has been in the Spanish capital, with the former midfielder taking charge of Real Madrid Castilla, the reserve side, before two spells in charge of the first team.

Thanks to three Champions League triumphs and two La Liga titles, his reputation remains high and he may yet be able to pick and choose when it comes to his next job.

Click here to read more!

Man Utd’s Van Dijk mistake

There have been few signings in history as impactful as Virgil van Dijk at Liverpool.

The centre-back joined the Reds from Southampton in a £75million deal in January 2018 and duly turned Jurgen Klopp’s side into Champions League and Premier League winners. But things could have been very different.

Manchester United were heavily linked with a move for Van Dijk the previous summer, only to sign Victor Lindelof from Benfica.

Charlie Austin, Van Dijk’s team-mate at Southampton at the time, claimed in an interview years later that Van Dijk told him the Red Devils had a direct choice between the pair but opted for the Swede.

Click here to read more!

Brighton interested in Oxlade-Chamberlain

Brighton are targeting Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, according to the Daily Mail.

The Seagulls lost Leandro Trossard to Arsenal this month and are looking for reinforcements.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is out of contract with Liverpool in June and it remains to be seen whether the club move him on this month, or allow him to leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Football Digest is here!

Listen to the latest episode of Football Digest HERE!

Our very own John Cross, Andy Dunn, Jeremy Cross and Matthew Dunn discuss Everton, Harry Kane and the FA Cup fourth round.

Bremang leaves Crawley

Crawley have terminated David Bremang’s contract by mutual consent.

The 22-year-old striker scored one goal in six appearances for the League Two side after joining last August.

Latest news
Related news