14.9 C
London
Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Dominic Thiem withdraws from Cincinnati Masters

- Advertisement -

Former world No. 3 Dominic Thiem has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Masters. Thiem, 28, won’t be making his sixth appearance at the Cincinnati tournament this year. Thiem, who skipped the Cincinnati Masters last year because of a wrist injury, is set to miss the tournament for the second consecutive year.

Thiem enjoyed good Cincinnati runs in 2016 and 2017, having reached back-to-back quarterfinals. After skipping the entire grass season, Thiem played three consecutive ATP clay tournaments – Bastad, Gstaad and Kitzbuhel.

Following his short clay swing, Thiem has decided to take some more time before he kicks off his summer on hard courts. Thiem isn’t competing at this week’s Montreal Masters and now he is set to skip Cincinnati as well.

Thiem expected to play at the Winston-Salem Open

In late June, the Winston-Salem Open organizers Thiem as a main draw wildcard recipient. Winston-Salem is an ATP 250 hard tournament and Thiem has decided to play only there leading up to the US Open.

After a rough start to his comeback, Thiem found a bit of his game and rhythm during his recent stretch of three ATP clay tournaments. In Gstaad, Thiem reached his first ATP semifinal since May 2021. After reaching the Gstaad semifinal, Thiem said he was not only happy for himself, but for all of those who have been supporting him during the challenging period.

“Nobody really talks about it but it was a tough time for them (family) also. Obviously, during the injury, they were awful for a long time, and also, they were probably not sure when I could come back, when I’m back in a good way.

So, I think they are also enjoying a lot now that wins are coming back. To give a lot of energy from the outside, for me, it’s obviously super important and it’s a big support,” Thiem said after reaching the Gstaad semifinal. It remains to be seen how will Thiem do at the Winston-Salem Open and US Open.

Source

Latest news
Related news