19.3 C
Sunday, September 24, 2023

Fire Guts Court Building, Destroys Exhibits In Ebonyi

A section of Magistrate Court sitting in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, was gutted by fire suspected to have been caused by a spark from an electricity transformer.

Mr Nnenna Onuoha, Chief Registrar, Ebonyi High Court, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on Monday that the fire which occurred on Friday Night also burnt exhibits and the court One Chamber in particular.

READ ALSO: 10 Dead, Others Injured As Petrol Tanker Catches Fire In Jos

“We were alerted by our colleagues living at the Magistrate quarters. It took the intervention of security men, some staff members and state fire service to put the fire under control.

“A lot of exhibits and the court chamber were destroyed by the inferno. We lost an estimated property worth N40 million (Forty Million Naira).

“We thank God, no life was lost in the incident. The fire was quenched by the help of the state fire service. The firefighters were able to secure the court and case files.

“Our files are intact only that the court building and exhibits tendered for various cases were burnt.

“Actually, we have been informed that the fire was caused by a spark from the electricity transformer,” she explained.

A Magistrate, who spoke to Daily Post on the condition of anonymity, disclosed that the fire started from one of the transformers in the court premises.

We sighted the fire in the first place. I quickly informed my colleagues and we were able to make use of some of the fire extinguishers before the fire service could come around,” the magistrate added.

Latest news
Related news