Statement of Intent: COLLAPSED BUILDING INCIDENT AT OFANKOR
The Ghana Institute of Safety and Environmental Professionals (GhISEP) would like to address the unfortunate incident of a collapsed building that recently occurred in one of the communities within Greater Accra.
This incident serves as a stark reminder of the critical importance of prioritizing safety in the construction and maintenance of buildings.
As a sole registered safety professional body and responsible members of our various communities, it is our duty to ensure the well-being and safety of ourselves, our families, and our neighbours. In light of this incident, we share our deep regret for those affected and our commitment to learn from this tragedy to prevent such incidents in the future.
GhISEP hereby declare our unwavering intent to prioritize safety and encourage everyone to take proactive measures to prevent any recurrence of such events.
In light of that, our commitment encompasses various aspects, including material selection, manpower competence, and compliance with building regulations.
1. Material Selection:
– We strongly advise the general public to prioritize the use of quality construction materials obtained from trusted sources. Inferior materials can compromise the structural integrity of buildings and increase the risks of collapses.
– Consider engaging the services of professionals and experts who can guide and assist inselecting appropriate materials that meet safety standards and regulations.
2. Manpower Competence:
– Engaging competent and qualified professionals throughout the construction process is vital. Architects, engineers, contractors, and workers should possess the necessary expertise, certifications, and experience to ensure the proper execution of construction projects.
– We encourage employing licensed professionals and conducting thorough background checks before hiring any individuals or companies involved in building construction or renovation.
3. Building Regulations Compliance:
– Adherence to building regulations and codes is vital for the safety and stability of structures. It is crucial that all construction activities comply with local building regulations, zoning laws, and safety codes.
– We urge all stakeholders, including property owners, contractors, and developers, to ensure strict compliance with regulations in order to maintain structural integrity and prevent hazardous situations.
In light of this incident, we recognize the need for increased awareness and education regarding safety in building construction and maintenance. We commit to taking steps to enhance public awareness through workshops, seminars, and campaigns focused on educating the community about the importance of safety and adherence to regulations. In conclusion, the unfortunate incident of the collapsed building has further reinforced our dedication to safety and commitment to preventing such incidents in the future.
We extend our sympathies to those affected and pledge to work together with the professional body’s, authorities, and relevant stakeholders to create a safer built environment for all. It is crucial to raise awareness about safety, encourage compliance with building regulations, and empower individuals to make informed decisions regarding construction and maintenance of building. By prioritizing safety in material selection, manpower competence, and compliance with building regulations, we can collectively ensure the well-being and security of our community. Thank you for your attention and support.
Together, let us build a safer and stronger community.
Miriam Eduful (Engr Mrs)
Full statement attached
Your browser does not support iframes.
|: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of . accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|