http://asideofbooks.com/2018/03/18/great-fairs-for-new-work-from-emerging-design-binders/img_9330?shared=email Gerard Boakye
Golden Star Wassa Limited (GSWL), a gold mining company has suspended operations at Wassa Benso in the Western Region.
This follows the violent attack on the mining company by alleged illegal miners who invaded the concession at Benso, attacked personnel and destroyed some properties belonging to the company.
The incident happened on March 16, 2023.
The illegal miners set about 12 vehicles ablaze, including pick-ups and an ambulance that served the company and the community.
The armed-illegal miners also smashed the windscreens of 22 trucks that were on the premises of the company, set fire on some tanker trucks and other assets, forcing the staff of the company to flee.
So far, the police have arrested 33 people in connection with the attack. The incident led to the death of one person and injury to four others.
Addressing journalists at the premises of the company Gerard Boakye, Group Corporate Affairs Manager noted that currently, it is not safe for the company to continue to operate at Benso.
He explained that certain vital items that needed to be in place before mining can take place, including an ambulance, have all been destroyed adding “So we have to suspend operations for about three months”.
He said even though the company would continue to operate its two other sites in the region, its statutory payment to the state would go down and adversely affect the nation’s revenue generation.
He also added that the company’s contribution to the government’s oil for gold project would also be adversely affected.
He, therefore, suggested the reintroduction of military personnel providing security at the premises of mining company which was under the code name “Operation Calm Life”.
indescribably Cause of Attack
Explaining how the incident happened, Zacharia Issah, Community Affairs Manager of Golden Star Wassa mine said on the day of the incident, the company’s security officers peacefully engaged illegal miners who had encroached on the company’s mining pits at Benso and asked them to leave.
He said the illegal miners, who are mostly not indigenes left the area only to remobilize and storm the premises to clash with security personnel of GSWL.
“Our employees at the scene were immediately evacuated to safety, and those injured were given medical attention”, he added.
Chamber Of Mines Condemns Attack
Meanwhile, the Ghana Chamber of Mines has condemned the attack and said such acts go against the government’s effort to position the mining industry as a fulcrum of its economic recovery programme and preferred country of investments for both local and foreign investors.
From Emmanuel Opoku, Benso