We are ready to deal with you – IGP to criminals

0
7

By
Benjamin Adamafio Commey/Abdulai Haruna, GNA

Accra, Dec 12, GNA –
Mr James Oppong-Boanuh, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) says the service
has deployed over 15, 000 uniform and non-uniform personnel across the country
to clamp down on criminal activities and maintain law and order during the
yuletide.

He said it had also
put in place a number of operational strategies to increase Police visibility,
protect lives and property, and ensure effective traffic management as part of
efforts to guarantee the safety and security of citizens especially during the
period.

The Police Chief
said this when he delivered a keynote address at a ceremony organised by the
Graphic Communications Group Limited to climax its Safety and Security Campaign
in Accra on Thursday.

“We have intensified
day and night patrols, increased community engagements and sensitiation on
security, stepped up traffic management, deployed some technological devices to
enhance information gathering intelligence-led operations, snap checks and
highway patrols.

“Let me therefore
caution all potential criminals to desist from any nefarious activity intended
to ruin the peaceful celebration of the Yuletide festivities because the Police
is ready to deal decisively with them,” he stressed.

Mr Oppong-Boanuh
urged the public to complement the efforts of the security agencies by
furnishing them with information of any suspicious criminal activities to
enable them to act swiftly and ensure the safety and well-being of all.

He advised
individuals to take the necessary personal precautions during the yuletide to
avoid falling prey to criminals.

“We have also
designated Public Complaints Desk at the moment at the Police Headquarters to
receive complaints in respect of any unprofessional or unethical conduct from
any member of the service for immediate and appropriate redress and this can be
accessed through phone numbers 0550323323/0275000156 or on WhatsApp and
SMS-0206639121,” he said.

Mrs May
Obiri-Yeboah, the Director General of the National Road Safety Authority (NRSA)
in a speech read on her behalf by Madam Pearl Adusu Gyasi, said despite efforts
by various stakeholders to reduce road accidents in the country, it continued
to be a leading cause of death among Ghanaians.

She said while the
country recorded a reduction in the death rate from January to October this
year, injuries caused by road accidents, particularly from pedestrian
knockdowns continued to surge.

“Since the beginning
of this year (January to October), there have been 1,915 deaths compared to
1,921 last year, a reduction of 0.3 per cent. Pedestrian knockdowns has also
reduced from 2,626 to 2, 418, thus 7.07 per cent reduction but with an increase
in injuries.”

She said the
Authority had commenced a campaign on the theme “Stop Road Accidents now before
it Stops You” in partnership with some media organisations geared towards
reducing road carnages during the festivities.

She said the NRSA
would therefore work with the Police to ensure that drivers found guilty of any
road traffic offence were punished accordingly.

On his part, Mr
Obeng Dwamena, Deputy Chief Officer in charge of Safety, Ghana National Fire
Service urged the public to ensure that they properly extinguished all sources
of heats in order to avoid fire outbreaks.

He also cautioned
the public against the use of fire crackers and explosives during the festive
period saying “the ban on fire crackers is still in force.”

GNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here