Report your husbands to police if they refuse to eat your food – DOVVSU to wives

General News of Sunday, 21 July 2019



File photo

Wives have been advised to report husbands who refuse to eat prepared for them to the Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Ghana Police Service.

According to officials of DOVVSU, such a conduct amounts to emotional abuse punishable under the Domestic Violence Act 732 of 2007.

The Central Regional Coordinator of the Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU), Mr George Appiah-Sakyi at a meeting with leaders of churches in the Cape Coast Metropolis on terrorism and other security issues said “if your husbands refuse to eat your food and make you unhappy and causes you emotional pain, you can also report them to the police. If your husband comes home late and causes you to be unhappy you can make a case at DOVSSU”

He also stated that women who refuse to give sex to their husbands should equally be reported.

“If your wife wears jeans to sleep and causing you emotional abuse it’s an offence and you can report her to DOVVSU,” he stated.

Mr Appiah-Sakyi said one found guilty of such offences might be sentenced to a maximum of two years imprisonment or to a fine of 500 penalty units which was equivalent to GH¢6,000 or both.