General News of Saturday, 1 December 2018
Concerned Eastern corridor road users have expressed displeasure at the deplorable state of the road.
At a peaceful demonstration in Hohoe, the road users urged the government to, as a matter of urgency, attend to the road now or be prepared to face their wrath.
Portions of the Eastern corridor road were awarded on contract by the previous National Democratic Congress administration, but upon the assumption of office, the New Patriotic Party administration suspended works on the road, citing over-bloated contract sums.
The administration said it needed time to do rationalisation.
After almost two years of auditing nothing untoward has been detected and when President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo- Addo paid a three-day working visit to the Volta Region six months ago and inspected the road, he directed that work should resume after the Roads Minister, Mr Kwasi Amoako-Atta told him the contractor, Rolider (RR), was exonerated from any malfeasance and malpractices.
The government is owing RR GH¢58 million but the Roads Minister promised to release at least GH¢15 million within two weeks from the Road Fund and COCOBOD but at the time of filling this story, Rolider was not on site, as no money had been paid to them to resume work, a source at Rolider told the DAILY HERITAGE.
“In this regard, we want the government to act now, we shall continue to demonstrate and drivers would not ply their trade until we have the contractor back to site working on the road,” the concerned Eastern corridor road users threatened.