How Des van Rooyen snubbed handover meeting with Nene

Former National Treasury director-general Lungisa Fuzile said he was disappointed with the actions of Des Van Rooyen on the first of his four-day stint as finance minister in 2015.

Fuzile, who was testifying before the state capture commission on Thursday, said Van Rooyen “broke tradition” by not attending a formal handover with his predecessor, Nhlanhla Nene.

Fuzile said he had called Van Rooyen after former president Jacob Zuma announced his appointment as finance boss.

“In a way, I reached out and I demonstrated acceptance of the fact that he had been made minister … The first thing I had in mind was to ask him to try to get to the department early that morning [to do a formal handover] … because it was not the first time we had a change of minister,” said Fuzile.

“I also wanted to do this, in his case in particular, because his appointment had come – even though there had been rumours – unexpectedly. I also asked him to consider issuing a media statement in light of what I was saying insofar as the currency is concerned.”

قالب وردپرس

Comments