Ashgold back off from Africa

Sports News of Friday, 26 October 2018

Source: Graphic.com.gh

2018-10-26

CEO of Ashantigold Sporting Club, Frederick Acheampong

The CEO of Ashantigold Sporting Club, Mr Frederick Acheampong, says his club has decided not to be part of the controversy over Ghana’s candidates for CAF clubs competitions because the matter was effectively concluded last Friday.

Mr Acheampong told the Daily Graphic in an exclusive interview yesterday that once the Normalisation Committee (NC) decided at last week Friday’s meeting with club owners that Ghana would not participate in Africa, any further discussion on the subject was inconsequential.

“At last Friday’s meeting, the debate was not about which clubs qualify to go to Africa but whether Ghana should participate or not.

“At the end of the day, the Narmalisation Committee decided that Ghana should not participate in Africa due to the current crisis.

That was what the discussion centred on,” he recalled.

“So for me, the issue about which clubs qualify to represent Ghana didn’t come up at all. That is why we (Ashgold) have decided not be part of the latest debate over which clubs qualify or not.”

He said though Ashgold were ready to participate in the CAF Confederation Cup on the basis of their second position on the league table, they decided to respect the majority decision that Ghana should withdraw from Africa this year.

He noted that the Obuasi-based club had taken the decision in its stride and would prepare well for the future.

Mr Acheampong said as of now, even if any Ghanaian club decided to participate in Africa, time would not be on their side to go through the complicated registration process.

CAF’s extended deadline for Ghanaian clubs to submit their names for the CAF Champions League and Confederation Cup is Monday, October 29.

قالب وردپرس

Comments