Nurses and midwives undergo fire-fighting training


Print

By Gifty
Amofa, GNA

Accra, Oct. 18, GNA – A total of 120 staff of
the Ghana Nursing and Midwifery Council (N&MC) in addition to scores of
National Service Personnel have undergone a day’s fire training exercise as
part of measures to equip them on some fire safety measures.

The training was facilitated by personnel from
the Legon Station Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), in Accra and cov

By Gifty
Amofa, GNA

Accra, Oct. 18, GNA – A total of 120 staff of
the Ghana Nursing and Midwifery Council (N&MC) in addition to scores of
National Service Personnel have undergone a day’s fire training exercise as
part of measures to equip them on some fire safety measures.

The training was facilitated by personnel from
the Legon Station Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), in Accra and covered the
theory and practical rudiments of fighting fire.

Speaking on the rational for the exercise, Mr
Felix Nyonte, the Registrar N&MC explained that the training was to equip
Staff with the basic fire prevention methods especially at the work place and
fire outbreaks could be prevented with adequate training.

Mr Nyonte praised the facilitators for the
practical way they educated the Staff and requested the GNFS to regularly make
such training programmes available for staff, to secure life and property.

The Divisional Officer One (DO1) Madam Harriet
Anyeley Nunoo, District Fire Officer of the University of Ghana Fire Station,
Legon, advised that every home and workplace should have an appropriate fire
extinguisher.

She said that the extinguisher could be used
at the initial stages of fire to avoid escalation and subsequent damage to
lives and property.

DO1 Nunoo explained that although an
extinguisher may be seen as expensive, it was a good investment considering the
cost of damage caused by fire outbreak.

Other officials of the GNFS also advised Staff
to avoid overloading their main sockets and extension boards as that could
cause overheating and subsequently trigger a fire outbreak, adding that
although extension boards may have spaces to plug in enough appliances, it was
not always safe to do so.

Staff of the Council who took part in the
training expressed gratitude to the authorities of the Fire Service and
Management of the Council for providing the training programme.

They noted that it was important everyone
remained vigilant to ensure that their emergency exits were clear of any
obstruction at all times for a safe and quick evacuation in case of any
emergency.

GNA


قالب وردپرس

Comments