Catholic church distances itself from explosive sex abuse claims

Segodisho further added that he opened a criminal case with the Hillbrow police in February.

He said he had decided to speak out after the church repeatedly blocked his attempts over the past 17 years to get the priest reported to the police and have him extradited to South Africa to stand trial for his alleged crimes.

His fight for justice was renewed by the “Sidney Frankel Eight” case‚ where the Constitutional Court‚ in June‚ removed the statute of limitations on when cases of sexual assault prescribe as well as to have the definition of rape include men.

Under the previous sexual offences act men could not be raped.

The Constitutional Court ruled that a section of the Criminal Procedure Act‚ which imposed a 20-year limit on prosecution for sexual assault‚ was unconstitutional. Up until June‚ only rape survivors had been able to lay criminal charges after the 20-year limitation.

The abuse allegedly occurred‚ according to Segodisho‚ at Christ the King Cathedral in Doornfontein‚ the Holy Trinity Church in Braamfontein and when the priest took Segodisho on holiday to Amanzimtoti‚ near Durban.

In a statement issued on Tuesday‚ Father Thabo Motshegwa‚ chairperson of the Archdiocese of Johannesburg’s Professional Conduct Committee‚ said the church took all cases of child abuse seriously.

قالب وردپرس

Comments