The lawyer for the Ghana Football Association, GFA, Amanda Akuoko-Clinton, believes FIFA’s ultimatum to the government to withdraw its petition to have the GFA dissolved is proof that government has been wrong all along.
The GFA petitioned the world governing body, contesting the government’s legal jurisdiction to wind down the association, weeks after the Attorney General presented a petition to dissolve the GFA over corruption allegations contained in an investigative video by journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
But in the face of FIFA’s 10-day ultimatum to the government to withdraw the dissolution petition, the GFA’s lawyer said the government should avoid embarrassing itself.
“With the governing body in football making the extensive recommendation as to what they would like Ghana Football Association (GFA) to do, speaks volumes in terms of this potential ban. The best alternative will be for the government to come up with flexible terms and conditions instead,” he said.
FIFA has warned that it may ban Ghana from international football if the attorney general’s petition to start the liquidation process of the Ghana FA is not withdrawn from the court by August 27, 2018.
The directive was stated in a letter sent to the Liaison Team charged with running Ghana football in the interim as reforms take place in the aftermath of the Anas documentary.
The letter, dated August 13, and signed by FIFA Secretary General, Fatouma Samoura, stated that the FIFA Council had been made aware of the various events and discussions that had taken place over how to reform Ghana football.
Ghana faces a suspension from FIFA if it fails to withdraw the lawsuit against the Ghana Football Association (GFA).
This would mean a ban from all football activities, including the upcoming African Nation’s cup qualifiers for the Black Stars.
The government initiated processes to dissolve the GFA in June after investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas uncovered widespread rot in all facets of the association.
By: Farida Yusif/citinewsroom.com/Ghana