General News of Tuesday, 29 May 2018
Former President John Kufuor has accepted Mr. Jerry Rawlings apology after the latter described him as evil.
Mr. Rawlings said if going to Heaven meant sharing the place with former President John Mahama and John Kufuor, then he is better off and happy going to hell. The former President made the harsh comments against the two Former Presidents when he received a delegation from the Volta Region.
According to the Former military ruler, former President Kufuor is ‘evil’ while former President Mahama, a ‘rogue’; and they both destroyed the country, adding that he will gladly join Satan in hell should they (Mahama and Kufuor) make heaven.
Mr. Rawlings later issued a statement retracting the said statement and apologized as well.
President Kufuor has accepted the apology but went further to debunk the allegations made against him by Mr. Rawlings
Below is the full statement
The attention of former President John Agyekum Kufuor has been drawn to the publication of a very damning and unpalatable diatribe about him by former President Jerry John Rawlings and his (Rawlings’) subsequent withdrawal and apology for same in the last few days.
However, despite that President Kufuor accepts the apology, he wishes to make it clear that:
1. He has never divested any state property to himself or his family members.
2. All the divestiture of state properties and enterprises that took place during his tenure in office was done legally and according to laid-down procedures, rules, and regulations, and to the utmost benefit of the people of Ghana.
3. President Kufuor never tried to unduly influence the promotion or appointment into the security services, more so, based on tribe. Emphatically, in his government policies, he never used tribalism in serving the regions and tribes of Ghana.
4. As to Heaven, it is only God who decides who goes there or not.
5. Finally, as to the creation of the medal the Order of the Black Star and Eagles of Ghana, President Kufuor believes that it is the prerogative of the president of the state to make such a creation and he as such did so as the exclusive title of presidents when they attain that unique office. President Nkrumah had created all the others upon Ghana attaining independence.