Sports News of Wednesday, 11 April 2018
Director General of the National Sports Authority (NSA), Robert Sarfo Mensah, has said he is not amused by the performance of the Ghanaian contingent at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Australia.
Team Ghana travelled with a contingent of 72 athletes across 12 sporting disciplines with the hope of improving upon the nation’s medal haul from Glasgow 2014.
The brightest spot so far has been 19-year-old Hor Halutie, who made it through to the finals of the ladies’ 100m final, a feat widely praised due to her inexperience at this level.
“My Minister and his deputy are relatively new to the Ministry having taken over in March and April last year, respectively. We were just learning with support from institutional memory. When we went to Australia for the pre-games preparations, we were told that the Aussies, who have dominated the medals standing, have been preparing for well over four years, so, clearly I am not too surprised.
“For athletes to do well, they need to compete, the more they improve on their performances. The preparations have been better than some previous years though,” Mr Sarfo Mensah said.
Ghana has won two bronze medals and would be desperate to win a few by the time the games end on the 15th of April, 2018.