General News of Monday, 9 October 2017
The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has revealed that investigations concerning the Atomic Junction gas explosion on Saturday, October 7, will be ready within some few days.
Seven people are dead and 132 others have sustained various degrees of injuries in the accident. Responding to a question in an interview with Class FM’s Moro Awudu on the Executive Breakfast Show on Monday, October 9, the Deputy Public Relations Officer of GNFS, Prince Billy Anaglate, said : “We are continuing investigations and until it is finished the work is still not completed” adding “we are hoping that by the close of this week we should conclude on the investigations”.
So far, 64 persons have been discharged from hospitals with 68 others receiving treatment. Class News gathered that four of the seven deceased who were taken to the Police Hospital were already dead as confirmed to Kwesi Parker-Wilson by DCOP Dr Iddi Musah.
“Four were brought here and they were already dead when they brought them,” he said, adding: “They died as a result of the fire injuries.”
He said the deceased included three males and one female. Two of them have been identified.
A fifth victim, taken to the same hospital, is a fire officer who suffered a fracture in the line of duty and is being treated.
At the 37 Military Hospital, Class News learnt that three people died; one from injuries sustained in the explosion and the other two as a result of being knocked down by a Sprinter bus during the pandemonium after the explosion.
The police have cordoned off roads leading to MANSCO Gas Filling Station, where the explosion occurred.
The statement said: “An investigation has commenced into the cause of the explosion and shall be followed with firm action to forestall similar future recurrences.
“Any injured persons who may have been evacuated from the scene on their own should kindly inform the Ghana Police Hospital of their location,” it added.
The government also directed the general public to cooperate with traffic detours as announced by the police and urged residents who need further assistance to reach NADMO on 0299350000 or 0299350030.