Multimedia crew allegedly assaulted at a construction site

General News of Friday, 4 August 2017



play videoThe three were assaulted and later arrested by the police

Three Multimedia crew comprising of a journalist, camera man and driver were allegedly assaulted by workers at a construction site for following up on a story they were working on.

The two journalists and driver after being assaulted by the workers were reported to the police in the Ashanti Region and later detained charging them with unlawful entry and offensive conduct.

According to Erastus Donkor, one of the journalists assaulted said, they visited the construction site after they noticed work has begun there again.

He indicated that per their checks at the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly, the building which has been there for close to 18 years does not have a permit from the assembly and that the building belongs to Nana Nkansah Boadu, the man who owned the Melcom building that collapsed years ago in Accra claiming about 14 lives and injuring scores of others.

He said he got worried when he found workers at the site busily continuing with the construction of the building that has no permit from authorities and did a follow up realising that city authorities have given them the warning to stop the construction.

“We found that they’ve put logs on the building and they were continuing with the construction works. So we decided as the watchdog of the society to get back to city authorities to find out what has gone amassed. So we went to the city engineer, we spoke to him; he said they have even served them with a warning that they should stop work on that particular building. So we decided per our work to go to the site, speak to the workers there and find out from them why they are working even when city authorities have told them to stop working”, he said.

But things did not turn out well for him and his team as they got beaten by workers at the construction site.

The workers at the site after wrestling with them for close to 15 minutes later reported them to the police which they got arrested for and are currently on bail which they are supposed to report back to the police station on Monday, August 7 at 10 in the morning.

Watch the video below as they narrate the ordeal they went through.

قالب وردپرس