Business News of Monday, 31 July 2017
The ongoing home raids by the government, against some past officials of the previous administration, involved in the Africa and Middle East Resources Investment Group’s (AMERI Energy) deal, could soon plunge the country into darkness again, as reports reaching The Herald suggest, officials of the company, are not happy with attempts by the Akufo-Addo government to criminalize their work.
According to AMERI Energy, it came to help Ghana out of a very distressful situation with the US$510 million facility to add 250 Megawatts of power to the national grid, and did nothing untoward, to warrant the political and media vilification, since the assumption of the Akufo-Addo government.
Additional information available to The Herald, suggests that the powerful Dubai-based company, which owners are linked to the influential royal families in the United Arab Emirates (UEA) could trigger a policy to blacklist Ghana, and no investment, could come from that region to Ghana, as it is politically unsafe to do so.
This paper learnt that, AMERI Energy, had only used the US$510 million emergency power project, to establish a foothold in Ghana, and that the company was in discussion with the Mahama government to invest in agro business, as well as railway to create jobs for millions of Ghanaians idling about.
This according to insiders, explains the reason, behind its five- year agreement for the US$510 million to be settled by Ghana, and the facility handed over to the Volta Rival Authority (VRA) to be managed for its remaining 15 years lifespan.
This also explains, why every expertise and resources were deployed to ensure that the facility was built at a record time of 90 days.
The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service, led by Bright Oduro, has invited former deputy Power Minister, John Jinapor for questioning over the controversial AMERI power agreement.
He is expected to meet Tiwah Addo Danquah, deputy CID boss.
This comes after some officers of the Department, conducted an early morning search of the former state official’s home and seized his mobile phone.
According to Mr. Jinapor, he has been invited to a meeting with the Director of the CID on Monday on the subject.
“I haven’t heard from the police. I have been invited to the District of the CID on Monday at 1pm.”
He said, his mobile phone, has not been returned to him and that has affected his work.
The Yapei Kusawgu Member of Parliament (MP), however, said he was ready to cooperate with the personnel in their investigations.
“My phone has not been returned and so I’ve had to look an alternative. I’m ready to cooperate with any investigation,” he said.
A former deputy Attorney General, Dominic Ayine, also had his home raided by some security officers, who said they had secured a court warrant to conduct the search for some evidence related to the AMERI power agreement signed under the former government.
Last week, some personnel, raided the home of former Power Minister, Kwabena Donkor, subjecting it to a thorough search for the same evidence. They took away his laptop and some flash drives.
They also stormed the home of Francis Dzata in a manner similar to the raid at the residence of former Power Minister, Dr. Kwabena Donkor.
Interestingly, Mr. Dzata was part of the Philip Addison Committee, and insisted on the right thing being done. He said that, the government was on wild goose chase, as there’s nothing criminal to find and prosecute.
The Herald is further informed that, the same police CID team last week, stormed the home of Mr. Kirk Coffie, ex-Chief Executive of the VRA.
Meanwhile, the Minority in Parliament, have expressed their displeasure at the way in which the state security is carrying out their investigations.
According to them, the raid and seizure of personal gadgets were inappropriate.
A private legal practitioner and NDC Member of Parliament for Tamale Central, Inusah Fuseini, described the practice as illegal and must be stopped.
According to him, MPs, must be treated with more respect with regards to the way the raid was being carried out.
“There is no rational basis for going for a search warrant to search people’s premises; those who are residents and clearly have a determined places of residence in Ghana and who are working in Ghana and are part of the political elite of Ghana and detain them, search them and keep them as ordinary criminals,” he said.