Politics of Sunday, 23 July 2017
National Chairman of the Peoples National Convention (PNC), Bernard Mornah says he does not feel safe in his party following the illegality perpetuated by its National Executive Committee (NEC) against General Secretary, Atik Mohammed.
He has promised to fight for the reversal of the decision indicating that NEC failed to follow the due processes in suspending its scribe.
“If there were claims of misconduct, a disciplinary committee should have been constituted to look into the merit of the case and then report to NEC which now has the power to reject the report submitted to it by the disciplinary committee or otherwise. You don’t just jump up and suspend someone for misconduct without following the laid down procedures. Things are not done that way. If they do this to him then same can be applied to me. I have said it again and again that I should be blamed for Mahama not being president and not anyone”, he said.
Mr Mornah who is reported to have stormed out of the 7-hour meeting on Saturday, explained that when the issue of misconduct was raised against him and three others, he felt he could not be a judge in his own court and therefore had to rescue himself and allow his first vice to take over proceedings.
“I cannot sit down and allow this illegality to happen in our party. It is very sad for our democracy”, he added.
The National Executive Committee (NEC) of the Peoples National Convention (PNC), yesterday indefinitely suspended its General Secretary, Atik Mohammed for dragging the party’s leader and its former flagbearer’s Edward Nasigri Mahama name into the mud.
The NEC met over the internal crisis rocking the party as occasioned by the appointment of Dr Edward Nasigri Mahama (former flagbearer of PNC) by President Akufo-Addo as an Ambassador At-large.
Dr. Nasigri Mahama, Bernard Monah, National Chairman and Atik Mohammed, the General Secretary were subject for the NEC meeting.
However, Dr. Edward Mahama and Mornah according to our investigations were very remorseful after their charges were read to them to react, and thus attracted the sympathy of NEC members during the voting.
Confirming the story to mynewsgh.com, the National Youth Organizer of PNC, Awudu Ishaq, said the posture of Atik Mohammed at the meeting contributed to the massive endorsement of his indefinite suspension.
He said, even though he was not for the suspension, he thinks the National Executive Committee had reached a decision and same must be respected.
But in a swift reaction on the timeline of Atik’s Facebook account, Atik described their suspension as unconstitutional and illegal. ‘My attention has been drawn to some news that I have been suspended indefinitely. It is not true and indeed, no organ of the party save National Congress is clothed with such powers. I will officially be issuing a statement to this effect’ he refuted and serve notice
Reacting to Atik’s post, Ishaq said, the NEC under the stewardship of Atik as the General Secretary had previously suspended the Deputy General Secretary of the party and that he has no case.