Sports News of Thursday, 20 July 2017
Deputy Sports Minister Pius Hadzide has disclosed to Citi-Sports that the sponsorship deal between the Ghana Football Association and GNPC has been terminated.
This revelation follows the news of the nonpayment of the Black Stars technical team for over 2 months.
GNPC was formerly in charge of the payment of the Black Stars back room staff, but deal between the two entities was reviewed after the new board of directors at the corporation took over affairs earlier this year.
GNPC are no longer under obligation to pay the Back Stars coaching staff and the responsibility now solely lies on the Sports Ministry.
According to the Deputy Minister, the Sports ministry will liaise with other sources to generate money to fund the senior national team.
“We are told that the GNPC are unable at this moment to renew their contract with the GFA as far as their sponsorship of the Black Stars is concerned,” he said.
“The Sports Ministry has partnered with the GNPC to provide some funds towards Sports development in this country, and they have come through on that providing $1.5m.
“We at the ministry are aware that we are under obligation to pay the salary and the signing on fee of the coaches and the coach and some other members of the technical team and we have begun doing that.
“We shall continue doing that finding money from sources that we feel are relevant to continue to pay for those amounts.”