General News of Wednesday, 19 July 2017
Public Relations Officer (PRO) for the Ghana Fire Service, Prince Billy Anaglatey has said, ”there is no cause for alarm following the fire outbreak that hit the 10th floor of Parliament’s Job 600″.
Speaking to Rainbow Radio’s Daniel Asuku in an interview, the PRO said, the fire started in one of the equipment rooms within the 10th floor of the office complex for MPs.
According to him, the fire spread to the kitchenette but service personnel managed to quench the fire due to the early detection system and mechanisms at the facility.
He said, we are safe because the building had the needed facility in place to quench an outbreak adding, if not for the facility in place, there would have been a disaster following the outbreak.
He said, the personnel stopped the fire where it started. We also used other available materials to deter and fight the fire.
It was reported that smoke was seen billowing from the 10th floor of the building which mainly serves as offices for parliamentarians.
According to reports, the fire started around 6pm Tuesday.
About three fire tenders were immediately dispatched to help quench the fire.
The PRO for the service corroborated the report adding, the fire service unit stationed at Parliament upon hearing the fire safety alarm quickly moved and later called for back-up.
He admonished other state institutions and private firms to emulate the good example by the legislature.
He used the opportunity to appeal to authorities to resource the service with modern firefighting logistics so they can combat fire outbreaks on high rise buildings.