Business News of Sunday, 16 July 2017
Source: Mark Boye
Member of Parliament (MP) for Ashaiman Constituency, Ernest Henry Norgbey has called for the ban of trading of petroleum products on table tops, saying the practice is illegal.
He said this when he extended his heartfelt condolences to the victims of a fuel explosion believed to have been caused by the controversial contaminated fuel that has found its way onto the market.
Two people last Thursday lost their lives in Ashaiman whiles two other people sustained various degrees of injury, when a motor bike (Okada) operator who doubles as a fuel dealer in an attempt to refuel his tank, carried his gallon close to his mother who was then cooking and in the process caught fire and burnt together with his mother.
Hon. Norgbey expressed shock over the explosion and wished the injured speedy recovery, calling on the public to exercise caution when dealing with fuel.
The MP who said the situation was unfortunate, urged the security agencies to clamp down on the illegal dealing of fuel, saying the dealing of fuel on table tops must be nib in the bud.
“No matter what, this is illegal activity and due to unemployment that is why we are doing this, the only legal means of obtaining fuel legally are from the pumps”, he said adding the trading of petroleum products on table tops must be banned.
“We have to safeguard the people and Ashaiman being a densely populated area, you can understand and foresee the casualties if such disaster occur’.
Norgbey called on the public to shun the purchase of contaminated fuel since it can damage their vehicles and motors.
He also made a passionate appeal to the National Petroleum Authority and the Environmental Protection Authority to be vigilant and do the right thing.