General News of Friday, 14 July 2017
A family of four sustained burns in an inferno, which occurred on Thursday at Taifa in Ashaiman.
The four persons-Fati Seidu, Saddique Seidu, Ayishatu Seidu and Amina Salifu, who lived in a wooden structure, sustained the burns after a fierce inferno gutted the wooden structure.
They were rushed to the Emergency Unit of the Tema General Hospital and later referred to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra.
An eyewitness told DAILY GUIDE that the fire started at about 10 am when Saddique Seidu, who is a motor rider and table top fuel dealer, was trying to fill the motor tank with petrol.
Coincidently, Ayishatu Seidu, mother of Saddique, struck the match stick in order to cook, but sparked the fire immediately.
The wooden structure was razed down, according to the eye-witness.
The timely intervention of the youth in the area stopped the fire from spreading to other structures.
The eyewitness expressed worry about the increasing rate of the sale of petroleum products on table tops in the Ashaiman Municipality.
The Assembly member for the Naa Amui Electoral Area, Shadrach Tetteh, stated that his attention was drawn to a thick smoke emanating from the scene and he quickly called the Fire Service to the scene.
According to him, the four people were already on fire when the fire service personnel got to the scene.
He commended the youth in the area for mobilizing themselves to prevent the fire from spreading to other structures in the area.
The Assembly member, who expressed concern about the sale of fuel in the Ashaiman Municipality, urged the security agencies to clamp down on the illegal activities of fuel dealers.