Business News of Wednesday, 12 July 2017
Traders on the edges of the road leading to the tunnel that connects East Legon to the Spintex in Accra have been given a week to evacuate their wares to pave way for expansion works on the tunnel to start.
The ultimatum, which took effect yesterday, applied to all businesses within both ends of the tunnel.
Those who are likely to be affected include flower and pots dealers, petty traders and a private construction company (name withheld).
The expansion work is expected to begin immediately after the one-week ultimatum during which the Ghana Highway Authority, the client of the project, believes the space will be available.
Signs of frustration and depression were seen on the faces of some of the traders when the Daily Graphic team visited the area yesterday.
They were also seen idling, with their hands between their legs, while casting their eyes incessantly to court the attention of potential buyers.
Speaking to the Daily Graphic, the traders said they were unhappy with the authority because it did not give them enough time.
According to them, although they were aware that the land belonged to the government, they were not expecting the ejection to be that quick and urgent.
“As you can see, I am already frustrated because this notice has come at a wrong time. I have just received new goods from my suppliers and now I do not know what to do,” Ms Eunice Dampo, a trader, said.
Ms Dampo, who deals mainly in pots, said the challenge was so unbearable because “I cannot evacuate all my pots from this place before the Saturday, July 15, 2017 deadline.”
“My goods are many and I cannot get all of them out before the time. They have also warned us that, if we do not get them out, they will bring soldiers to come and destroy them,” she added.
Another trader, who refused to mention his name, also expressed concern about the short notice and timing.
“At least they can give us about two months to clear our goods, a week is too short to move out of this place,” he said.
Asked if they were being charged for using the place, he answered in the affirmative, saying they made some monthly payments but declined to name the receiving party.
The Ministry of Roads and Highways, Mr Kwasi Amoako-Atta, during a recent tour announced that another tunnel would be constructed to ease the vehicular traffic for motorists on that route.
According to him, a reasonable amount of money had been earmarked for the project to be executed in six months.
“Within the next six months, I have directed the team to create a second tunnel so that there will be continuous flow of traffic instead of the current alternating flow that we are experiencing. Once we have the two systems in place, this traffic that occur will be a thing of the past,” the minister said.